Cooling issues - do i already have aircon?

BX Tech talk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Cooling issues - do i already have aircon?

Post by Vanny »

Hello list folks, interesting new conundrum for you!

When driving normally my temp guage sits at about 65!!!!! I know its cold at the moment, and i guess at 60ish mph theres a good amount of air flow!

is this normal????

If i give it some welly i can ge tthe temp to about 85, and if i park up and let her idle i can get her upto 90 ish and the fans (set to 88 i think) kick in so im happy the guage is vaguely right. I have suspected trapped air but i've impromptly changed the water several times and rebled without a problem!

Realistically i dont think there is an actual problem, but im scared! It used to sit pointing straight up and not really move!

thoughts?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I swapped my thermostat last week Vanny to cure the very problem you describe, it didnt, I think that theres so much cold air around and the heater taking heat from the system that the thermostat doesnt open under most normal driving conditions. These 1.9TDs are just so damn COOL :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

my temp wont get up at the mo either matey1 sits around half way unless i have been beating it to death for a bit then sitting in traffic! but normally around half way onthe gauge!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Bloody near hotter than that in the shade out here at present. :shock: :oops: :oops:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

temp readings

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,
Funny you should mention that, I have been thinking that the thermostat on my 16V was not shutting properly.

Temp reads about 80 now, when it used to sit at 90 all day long.

If I turn the heater off, It reads higher again.
Must just be the cold air. I still get hot air out of the heater after only a few 100 meters, so must be Ok really.

Mike
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think this is normal - actually the heater is doing the cooling and of course isn't governed by the thermostat! Both mine do this (ZX 1.9D and BX Turbo) and I've replaced the thermostats in both.

(I get output from the heater on both in about 1/4 mile or by the end of my road and it gets rapidly better after that)

jeremy
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

You've got a temperature gauge?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Yes stuart i have a temp guage!

Mine was a 16v so all the wiring and magic gizmo's where already there and the sensor was already in existence on the engine so it really didnt take much to link the two up!

Curiously i've only had the problem since swapping to the copper 309 rad, but then again its been a long time since i've driven it! the heater heats up in the right sort of time (though the fan is failing), and it doens't really matter if i have the heater on or off, will just have to wait till the summer and see what happens!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

You've got a temperature gauge?
See the BX DIY site for details of how to swap in a GTi/16v temp gauge and sender (assuming you can find one in a scrappy or buy a donor car/panel). It's a matter of just swapping one module in the instruments, not the whole panel, but the sender MUST be a decently calibrated match.

My gauge and sender are now in their second car!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.