Fan control

BX Tech talk
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Fan control

Post by Calfskin »

Hi guys. Its been almost a week of problem free motoring since I had the glow plugs done and now another fault has raised its ugly head - the fan control has an intermittant fault where it doesn't work sometimes. The control just swivels while controling nothing.

It comes back during normal driving or with a well placed thump to the dashboard. I think its a dodgy fan control as it does work although when it does, it sounds rather weedy sometimes.

Am I right? And having the dashboard apart I can see that it appears easy enough to replace, am I right again? LOL

Your help, as always, will be greatly appreciated. :D

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

They all go like that eventually - can be many reasons - from motor brushes, motor connectors, failed transistors, incorrect circuit board manufacture, and dirty variable speed control or a failed relay.

I sorted mine recently - and when functioning properly you should have variable speeds, with a full speed when the knob is turned fully clockwise. This is marked by a relay above the steering column clicking in and shorting out the transistor control unit.

Many cars have an incorrrect circuit board (mine included) and when I made the mods described by Tom I had full speed for the first time!

I think you'll find it all in this link. Pictures of the circuit board and its mods are on Toms site - follow the link.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ght=heater

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Mine did axactly this i replaced the circuit board in the fan unit no cure in the end i replaced the fan and hey presto cured i have had no more problems for over a year now it turned out to be a worn out armature in the motor.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

the small plate bit that plugs into the side of the blower unit is often the cause of failed units ( i cant think of its proper name!!! -maybe the rheostat??)! mine went ages ago and ihave finnaly got roudn to replacing it!
simple chaep job! failing that it could be the circuit board??
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Go to the BXPress column on the club homepage. Where it says "Last month", click the link three times and you will find a blow by blow account of repairing and overhauling heater blowers.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Resistor timmo?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

its not a resistor but a transistor, took me ages to find the resistor (its not there) but the haynes managed to show me the light and the dodgy power transistor!

If anyone is replacing the Bitron unit please let me know as i'm keen to get hold of dead ones and see if they can be overhauled, would be good to make a supply of available spares!
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Vanny. Been there, done that. Bitron units cannot be overhauled or fixed as they contain two custom ULAs.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

bugger, scrap that then!

Mines dieing anyway so i guess i'll have a dead one of my own soon, shame i dont have a spare :(
Clogzz
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Clogzz »

Not sure if it applies to the BX, but on the Xantia, it's not the internals of the Bitron that fail, but intermittent contacts on the pins.
The pins are tinned with solder, and they need a good scrape.
I scraped them with the rough end of a broken piece of metals hacksaw blade, and then swept out the scraps of solder, and it's been good since.
I had tried previously to clean them with a little blunt screwdriver, and then squirted them with WD40, but that was only good for 3 days.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 207,000 km 76372389
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I was under the impression that Bitron units were only fitted to (and needed on) Aircon cars?
this might be a signature
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

I think it is a generic Xantia fan controller, applicable to both types. Many more Xantiae had aircon than BXs, being inherently less cool.

You do have a point, though. BXs don't have Bitrons!

What does Vanny think he's doing.

Over here, boy. What's that in your hand? Explain yourself.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

tom wrote:Many more Xantiae had aircon than BXs, being inherently less cool.
Indeed!

I know for sure that the 405 and 306 ranges were only fitted with bitron units if they had A/C fitted, lesser models simply having the 3 speed relays (slow speed and high speed) controlled by a dual-temperature radiator switch.

I also seem to remember the same being true of early Xantiae: Bitron for A/C and thermo-mechanical switching for non-A/C.

It would certainly make sense that if you can "get away" without having a Bitron unit, so much the better.
this might be a signature
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

tom wrote:Go to the BXPress column on the club homepage. Where it says "Last month", click the link three times and you will find a blow by blow account of repairing and overhauling heater blowers.
Cheers Tom, your earthing bodge has got the blower going, it was flatlining before 8)
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Now its been brought back up, just what is a 'Bitron' Unit? i THought Bitron was just a brand, and they did power control electronics (relays etc) so if Bitron units are only found on aircon cars, what are they and what do they do?