What's holding the fuel tank?

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

What's holding the fuel tank?

Post by Gareth Wales »

Saw today that the strap around the fuel tank had rusted away, yet the tank seems soundly fixed to something. There's certainly no movement in it - so what's holding it on?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If you mean the little tank at the back behind the bumper, look closely and you'll see a bolt through a "lug" in the tank.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Same happened on one of my BXs, so I would be interested to know if, now that the strap is no longer there, do I need to replace it? Or were Citroen doing a bit of belt 'n' braces?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Yes, I see the bolt Ken, but as it seems to be the only fixing, I'll re-make the strap 0 - or something like it. Bugger - I now see red rust inside the fuel filler aperture. Any idea how I can get to that - its right at the top of the rear wheel arch of course.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The long range tank (an add on on some models) appears to be held on by a strap, a bolt, and its attachments to the filler cap and the main tank, The strap disappears but somehow the tank stays put, on top of the tank. A pile of mud and rock salt accumulates and causes the area around the filler cap to rot, I jetwash this area to prevent accumulation as corrosion in this area is pretty difficult to do anything about.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

Gareth Wales wrote: Any idea how I can get to that - its right at the top of the rear wheel arch of course.
Difficult. I would suggest a propriatory spray on rust killer such as Dinitrol followed by a good spray with black waxoil will (whilst not curing the problem) hold it at bay for a while.