Car and Classic - TXD Turbo

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Lester
BXpert

Post by Lester »

messerschmitt owner wrote:don't knock the prices - I remember years and years ago all the efforts the Bond owners Club made to keep prices down, to stop cars being exported and all that happened is that lots of cars that were worth restoring were scrapped instead.

Do you really want that to happen to BXs. If you have one, what does it matter what it is worth - the more the better if you want to see them on the road and to see companies remake bits for them.

Frankly, a 30,000 mile mint car was well worth £2k - all day long - you're just all used to seeing them as old bangers that you've forgotten that they have appreciated in value.

My messerschmitt cost me £200 when I bought it - want to buy it off me - give me £20k! Is it worth £20,000!!! Of course not, but that is the going rate for a very tidy one.

We're now no longer in the realms of BXs as old bangers but as the quirky, fun, interesting classics they have become.

Spread the word about how good they are, get it mentioned in the Classic press and watch the prices go up a bit, and be happy you own one already!
I can agree on that one too...it certainly doesn't look like a tatty old banger. Why is there so much aversion towards the price...don't people want the BX to rise in value - I certainly would like to see them reach higher prices and then, as mentioned, classic car organisations (other than the CCC) would appreciate them more rather than just a 'cheap tatty runabout that you can pick up for peanuts'
ts insured for £2000 agreed value now
So why, if you GT is valued at the same value of that TXD are you not liking the price of it? :?: Looks as good a car IMO in the pictures but haven't seen it in the flesh. Don't get me wrong your GT is a lovely BX, and a rare one too. 8)
This forum isnt the place to sell cars,
How come there is a section called:

BX For Sale/Wanted
Buy or sell BX's, BX parts etc!

:?:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Lester wrote:
messerschmitt owner wrote:don't knock the prices - I remember years and years ago all the efforts the Bond owners Club made to keep prices down, to stop cars being exported and all that happened is that lots of cars that were worth restoring were scrapped instead.

Do you really want that to happen to BXs. If you have one, what does it matter what it is worth - the more the better if you want to see them on the road and to see companies remake bits for them.

Frankly, a 30,000 mile mint car was well worth £2k - all day long - you're just all used to seeing them as old bangers that you've forgotten that they have appreciated in value.

My messerschmitt cost me £200 when I bought it - want to buy it off me - give me £20k! Is it worth £20,000!!! Of course not, but that is the going rate for a very tidy one.

We're now no longer in the realms of BXs as old bangers but as the quirky, fun, interesting classics they have become.

Spread the word about how good they are, get it mentioned in the Classic press and watch the prices go up a bit, and be happy you own one already!
I can agree on that one too...it certainly doesn't look like a tatty old banger. Why is there so much aversion towards the price...don't people want the BX to rise in value - I certainly would like to see them reach higher prices and then, as mentioned, classic car organisations (other than the CCC) would appreciate them more rather than just a 'cheap tatty runabout that you can pick up for peanuts'
ts insured for £2000 agreed value now
So why, if you GT is valued at the same value of that TXD are you not liking the price of it? :?: Looks as good a car IMO in the pictures but haven't seen it in the flesh. Don't get me wrong your GT is a lovely BX, and a rare one too. 8)
This forum isnt the place to sell cars,
How come there is a section called:

BX For Sale/Wanted
Buy or sell BX's, BX parts etc!

:?:
Parts sell very well on here, cars struggle, again down to people having one already, alot end up on ebay, we all have seen that.

The GT insurance value is £2000, would I get that? I doubt it unless it went on ebay or car and classic, but its not for sale so im not worried, I can remember saying I didnt like the price at any time of that TXD, good luck to him for getting that for it, if someones prepared to give that kind of money for a BX then they obviously want one badly so it should get cared for. Would I pay £2000 for one, nope.

If the prices of BXs are on the up then thats good news for those of us who have one and will promote them from banger territory maybe?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think it's always been difficult for BXs to reach higher prices when sold through the forum, as a lot of us don't seem to be in the position to spend several thousand on a car. Plus, there seems to be a general reluctance for people to profit from cars bought and then sold on the forum, so the easiest thing is to bit them on eBay and let the market determine the value. I'm pleased values are on the rise, as it will be a good thing for long term survival.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

The cheaper BXs are, the more likely they are to be scrapped.

I have sold a few cars just as they started on the upward spiral - my Fiat 126s were all bought and sold at banger money and now a decent one is always north of a grand, the W123 Merc 230TE estate I sold for £700 with 12 month MoT, I have always regretted - now, in same condition it would be heading for £2k.

Revel in the fact the cars are worth more - it takes more than enthusiasts to save them. Without a decent number on the roads, no one will remanufacture bits for them, more will be scrapped.

Spread the gospel - get the price up and it doesn't matter if they do go up, after all, you already have one!!!!

Even E-types were at £350 or less at one point in the 1970s.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

At last prices are on the up! I bought my first BX in 2001 for £900. In 2002 they were in Parkers for £200. In 2003 they weren't in Parkers.

I bought my next BX in 2005 for £30. The latest, Groliffe, I paid £100 for ealier this year. If at last they are appreciating I am quids in!
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Oscar wrote:At last prices are on the up! I bought my first BX in 2001 for £900. In 2002 they were in Parkers for £200. In 2003 they weren't in Parkers.

I bought my next BX in 2005 for £30. The latest, Groliffe, I paid £100 for ealier this year. If at last they are appreciating I am quids in!
Bought my first BX in 1990 - it was £3900, second in 1993, £4500, third in 1995 - £4500, fourth in 1999 - £500.

I don't have one at the moment but I know the arguments and have seen them with so many other cars. Owners like prices low so they can get parts and cars cheap, cars stay cheap, aren't looked after, are not worth fixing if there's a big bill and get scrapped. As they're cheap, no new people come along to buy them, the ones that do appear are worth little more than scrap, enthusiasts already have one so these cars end up in scrapyards. Because prices are cheap, no one makes parts for the burgeoning spares market that would have existed if the cars were worth something.

The £2k car was still a cheap car, considering what else is available is normally on a stellar mileage and in faded pink.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

The higher the market value, the less painful it is handing over hard won cash for maintenance.

There must be as many reasons why people choose to buy a bx as there are good BX''s left. Personally I run mine because it's the best car all-round for the money. I also like the style of the car and the comfort and the fact that it is an appreciating asset, not a throwaway, soulless, tin coffin with a moped engine that loses money faster than I can make it.

EDIT: forgot to mention that it is just big enough to take a rolled-up Lazer sail with the hatch shut, and I can sleep in the back without having to curl up!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It strikes me that the more proactive people amongst us may well be instrumental with getting parts re-manufactured in the future, which is a strange thought….

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

mat_fenwick wrote:It strikes me that the more proactive people amongst us may well be instrumental with getting parts re-manufactured in the future, which is a strange thought….
Interesting article in the Citroenian on DS body panels this month.
Have
1971 Dyane - This IS the ONE :D
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Xantia, BX19 GTI, Dyane, BX14RE, AX, 2 x Visa 652, Dyane
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Slow down peoples

The 2k car was a 2k car because of it's fabulous condition, history, one owner, unique low mile diesel etc. this doesn't translate that a £150, million miler BX has suddenly jumped in price. A £150 banger will always be a £150 banger unless you spend £4000 on it to make it worth £2000. Cars like the 2k TDX have always fetched a massive premium and rightly so in my oppinion it was a fantastic buy to someone who wanted a car as close to factory new as that one was.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

As a regular guy paying to have most of the work done, older cars are only just viable, and only up to a point. This year even just the routine age related failures are going to cost me about the same as the depreciation of a 3 year old modern. I think paying to keep a £2K BX "worth" £2K, is going to cost a lot more than keeping a £300 BX "worth" £300. Doing the big jobs yourself is a completely different story, but you are then significantly shrinking the market for interested buyers, and therefore the "value". In the mean time its good while it lasts, and I'll keep hoping "the crunch" is not around any corner soon, and carry on buying the lottery tickets. It could be me!
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I feel there are different kinds of enthusiasts.One sort like saving cars and fixing them up(getting there hands dirty) and then you have the ones that want to just drive ,polish and enjoy what wonderful beauty they own.I dont think the first type would buy a 2K car nor the second type do up a £200 car.Each to their own.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

richardd1652 wrote:I feel there are different kinds of enthusiasts.One sort like saving cars and fixing them up(getting there hands dirty) and then you have the ones that want to just drive ,polish and enjoy what wonderful beauty they own.I dont think the first type would buy a 2K car nor the second type do up a £200 car.Each to their own.
Richard.
And the third type who is fed up of doing up £200 cars and now wants to just enjoy the 2k type.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Defender110 wrote: And the third type who is fed up of doing up £200 cars and now wants to just enjoy the 2k type.
Hopefully the various "types" might even be mutually "symbiotic", creating a thriving community, helping each other.
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I just get tired of seeing blatant profiteering from the usual suspects.
Was the car worth £2K? Maybe, but given that the seller has in the past raped cars for interiors then sold them on for massive profit with lesser bits shoved in it just seems a little to me like profit goes before all else. I've never been one for making money out of cars, infact I only have once, and that was a Xantia, largely bought by mistake..
To me, and maybe it's old hat here now (?) but the joy of this place was the sleflessness that went into helping people out because you wanted to, not to make a profit out of them.

To go buy cars (repeatedly) for not all that much money with the seller oftentimes happy in the knowledge it's going to "an enthusiast" just to polish it, do what it needs for MoT then shifting it ASAP for mega money saddens me..

In the same way I've givn my time and parts for free to "enthusiasts", made their cars better to my own cost because it's "for the cause" and because they seemed like nice people just for them to sell the car on in minutes... In one case, twice in as many months after freeloading a lot of shit etc.. I dunno, maybe I'm just a grumpy old git, but I remember a time when money was less important than helping out for nowt, or a beer and a curry with good mates..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...