Scarecrow's 14TGE

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well done mate, judging by the pictures its a 14TGE, they went from "R" to "TG" in late '89 so if its a 91 its definatly a TGE (the only difference is trim) My 16v is registered as a GTI 16v, althought the "GTi" monica was only on the 1st year of production I think?. Ive had a 16TGS that was a 16RS on the logbook too, just DVLA being dim I expect.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Getting there!

The exhaust has been repaired and the thermostat replaced. I now no longer have to toe-and-heel my way around town :wink:

Next jobs are the diaphragms for the distributor and choke, entailing a longer stay at the garage so that the distributor can be stripped down to identify the correct part. Keeps the mileage down I suppose.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

scarecrow wrote:Getting there!

The exhaust has been repaired and the thermostat replaced. I now no longer have to toe-and-heel my way around town :wink:

Next jobs are the diaphragms for the distributor and choke, entailing a longer stay at the garage so that the distributor can be stripped down to identify the correct part. Keeps the mileage down I suppose.
Still cheaper than owning a new car! :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

You're right Tim. Not that I've ever owned a new car, or anything remotely like it in almost 30 years of motoring, This is the lowest mileage car I've ever owned, narrowly beating my first BX (a diesel Meteor) which had 75k :D I did used to drive a company 19rd Break in the early 90's which was newish. My mates used to think I was mad when I enthused over its driveability, comfort and economy.

Not that mileage is that important. 70k is about right for lots of fairly major work needing doing in my limited experience.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

After a week and a half in the garage the car is home. I can put Shanksy's Pony back in the stable now (which is lucky as I've had to give up a leg to go with the arm I'd already handed over :wink: ).

The exhaust hanger has been welded back on, the distributor and Carb. vacuum units replaced, and most other ignition bits and bobs renewed. The distributor vacuum had to be sourced from Germany - otherwise it would have been a £200+ new distributor jobby.

Still I'm finding it hard to adjust to petrol again after so long driving diesels... but the car is running perfectly now so time will tell.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

scarecrow wrote: it is amazingly light and tight (hmm that could be a description of a woman I went out with, but that's another story).
Tease! :P
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well, I took the family for a day trip to the seaside on Thursday (Whitstable and Herne Bay) and the car performed very nicely. Eighty was comfortable on the motorway - I hadn't intended to go that fast but on the stupid 2-lane M2 it's that or 56 mph with the Artics.

We took my old mum too and all she kept going on about was the blinds in the back and how come I could manage to fit them to my car but not to her bathroom windows!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Belgium beckons tomorrow - I may be back! :wink:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

scarecrow wrote:Belgium beckons tomorrow - I may be back! :wink:
That sounds somewhat enigmatic! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well we made it. 180 miles and a horrible chunnel journey. It was so hot coming back through the tunnel, almost unbearable, so in future summer trips will be on the ferry. What with the delays due to technical difficulties and running at capacity there wasn't much difference time wise.

The tge performed faultlessly - apart from everything being so hot through the tunnel that the fuel was vaporizing as fast as the pump could deliver it when disimbarking. Luckily I was the first off so had a few seconds to draw fuel through before hitting the m20. There must be a cure for the hot starting issues... (buy a diesel?)

Other than that the car sat at 70 to 80 mph all the way and didn't miss a beat. Good car!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Went out to Sutton Valence near Maidstone today (I used to live work there as a serf to landed gentry). I'm afraid my poor car turned the same shade of red as Oscar's car when I pulled up alongside the most beautiful DS I've ever seen in the flesh.

I wanted to get out and lay across the bonnet seductively wooing the car with my rough-diamond charms, but the central locking locked down of it's own accord until I drove off... bloomin' fickle French.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

The car had a radius bearing replaced yesterday and new pads on the front.

I borrowed Medway Citroen's St Tropez for the day (yuk!) but it was good to compare how the two run...

Incidentally, when I was returning Medway's St Tropez I passed a geezer fly-tipping beside the road and took great pleasure in getting him to load his manky old sheet of mdf back onto the roof of his manky old Mondeo. FFS the tip is a few minutes drive away!!!

Now that IS offensive.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Good man! I think fly-tippers are worth less than most of the stuff that gets dumped.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yes - very well done Sir. The sort of situation where I think most of us would be inclined to moan about it - then not bother to get involved.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Yes, I might of thought better of it if it'd been a truck full of yobs.No harm in noting down the registration number though.

Next time I go, I'll take some photos of what the locals have done to the country lane leading up to our local tip. It's unbelievable really.