Another sort of Event

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Another sort of Event

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi all. Many years ago, back in the mid-eighties I was a member of the 'Mk II Owner's Club' and we were certainly not alone amongst car clubs at the time in organising 'cruises'. The occasions when you used to see clutches of a particular marque in traffic heading (usually) for the coast or some country park were far more frequent even then than it would appear now.

I remember meeing at a big car park in Purley and - with the 100 or so other Consuls, Zephyrs, Zodiacs and accompanying Classics, Corsairs and even the odd Cortina or two, we drove sedately (there was no other way in the Consul!) down to just outside Brighton. It was a great day out with batches of cars going off to parade along the sea front.

Now, I am realistic and appreciate that in all probability the most BXs we could expect to assemble for a 'cruise', depending on location, would be a about a dozen maybe - so we are talking modest! However, as an excuse for a chat over a picnic / BBQ, as well as an opportunity to see cars on the move, ('exposing' the BX 'en masse' (!) to other motorists) it takes some beating on a nice Summer's day...

So let's consider some 'routes'?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Blackpool, bring the kids/family. Picnic on the beach, trip to the funfair?
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

On giving it further thought, I think more than a 'meet' it is far more likely that something like this would be attended by club members within easy (ish) driving distance. Cavmad's excellent suggestion sounds fun but not practical for me (as oppsed to many Club luminaries) because of where I live. I will look at the member's map and I think, probably do a straw poll with members within reach of, I dunno, London to Brighton, for example. I suggest where there are 'clusters' of members this is something that could be organised amongst those memebers.

It's just a thought.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Yes, good point. Maybe we could have regional organisers and all work together to meet up with other regions once a year or more often?
Vauxhall apologist.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I'd certainly be up for London to Brighton!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The CCC have a show at Stratford racecourse every year which i went to last year.

The amount of BX parts for sale was unbelievable.

Also the weather was fanatastic and i got sozzled on the saturday night!

Its a great place to bring the family if thats what you want, its fairly centrally located in the country and its a great fun cheap weekend.

Admiteddly some members of the CCC can be a little 'old' and strange but you cant half have a good laugh at them..... Its even funnier when you're drunk!

Marty, Jon, Mr B... Remember that ar5ehole that attacked us infront of the 2cvgb stand at the classic car show last year!?!?!
Over and out from me
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

To be honest, I found that CCC rally very dull. Perhaps that's because my 2CV didn't need any parts. Was nice to park up next to a gorgeous blue SM though!

Ian
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I can see why you didnt like it Ian, but you werent there with me, Tim, Justin, Jono, Jason etc etc

We had a ball!!
Over and out from me
Tim2cv
BXpert

Post by Tim2cv »

Agreed, you dont have to join in with the line dancing or bingo! its up to you! I had a great time, PIZZA H VAN! mmmmmm Hangover cure from the mint night before.
(wish i still had the CX turbo!)
Ill be there next time, think there is an event at huntingdon too. Wish I had more cash then i would have bought more rare stuff incuding the digit dash, another collectable for my bedroom floor! lol!

TIM
2CV6 1986 Dolly

MEHARI 1976

DYANE 6 1981 - GF'S CAR!

www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum

www.myspace.com/tim2cv
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Ian_Fearn wrote:
The amount of BX parts for sale was unbelievable.
I know, I brought most of them home in the back of mine :lol:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The next event is the week after 2CVGBs Registers Day. At the same location! Wood Green Animal Shelter. Don't think I'll be making the return trip.

That H van does lovely pizzas!

Ian
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And the date, Ian?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oh yeah. It must be the 7th/8th I think. 2CVGB is the 2nd of July.

I'm not a member of CCC though so it's worth double checking!

Ian
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

I may be on the wrong trail here,but are you on about BX's at a "CVGB meet?A few years ago I went on the Tan Hill raid.Whilst chatting in the Tan Hill pub,Alot mentioned about the struggle over the buttertubs pass due to snow.Upon mentioning that I'd had no trouble due to me driving my BX 4x4,I became as popular as a pork pie at a jewish wedding
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................