More flaming computer woes :(

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

More flaming computer woes :(

Post by cavmad »

Now my e-mail system is playing up! Kep getting messages saying my e-mails are full up and I`m getting sent messages and incoming messages returned. Had a bit of a cull this morning but it`s still happening though it seems patchy? Any ideas please? I think I`ve missed one mail from Mr Newbold already!

This is the message I`m getting:

A message was sent to you that was returned to the sender(bounced)
because it would have caused your mailbox quota to be exceeded.

The following is the reason that the message was over quota:

Quota Type: bytes in the mailbox
Quota Available: 0
Total Quota: 15360000
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Which company is your e-mail with?

Is there some form of virus protection in place, is it up to date - have you run a check recently?

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Tesco, signed up with their broadband about 4 months ago and a new security package with it too. Have just deleted all deleted items and have cleared out sent folder and deleted some `normal` messages too. Let`s see how that works out! Thanks for the reply, keeping my fingers crossed for now.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I'm sure you've done the usual re-boot that can cure all sorts of things - really resulting from a partial crash or other program failure. If you've really got problems may even be worth removing the mains lead from the mains for 10 minutes or so.

jeremy
M

Post by M »

Are you using webmail or OE?

Occasionaly I have found that the webmail box gets clogged whilst everything appears tickety boo and a half at the OE end.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I have OE by the way and I have just taken a mate`s advice and defragmented my computer whatever that means. I`ve also deleted all cookies but I`m not convinced that all is well. Have rebooted btw and it`s still not working as have sent e-mail to Ian Fearn and it`s thrown it back again. the occasional e-mail gets through but sending and receiving is hit and miss. Really p*ss*ng me off now. Any other suggestions please?
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

How long has this machine been running on it's current installation? You only get a few years of use out of a Winblows installation before the registry is so clogged with crap that the machine looses all functionality.

I would recommend a wipe, and start again with a fresh install. (saving all your personal files first though - burn them to a CD?) I used to do this every year when I used to run Winblows systems, and was always amazed at just how much faster and better the computer was after a re-install.
this might be a signature
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I've just checked my Yahoo e-mail and found a "message" from 'Mail Marshall @ newsalert.com' or something like that telling me that security has detected that the mail (that I never sent) had a "potentially (something or other) attached to it and if I thought it was a business e-mail and I didn't respond within 5 days it would be deleted.
It also had some kind of attachment so I just forwarded it on via "Yahoo spam guard" which means it will be marked as spam and bounced if they try again, but that was either some dodgy spammer or a virus. It didn't stay long enough for me to find out and sorry I can't be more precise with the details, but at 5 am, I'm not all that bright eyed and bushy tailed. :shock: :evil:
Might pay all to keep the eyes peeled for that one just the same.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

For the last few weeks I have been getting a lot of unsolicited spam emails, usually offering me what I shall refer to as "bedroom products" and financial services, the address bar containd other addresses that are getting the same rubbish and its obvious that the list is computer generated, running through endless permutations, anyone else getting more rubbish than normal?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`ve managed to sort my problem now. It transpires that when I access my ISp through work and go to my e-mails that when I`ve deleted them from there they`ve gone into the `trash` file. When I get home and go on my computer `proper` the trash box is not available and the messages have disappeared. Found them now thanks to Tesco help (very good btw) and deleted all 433 of them.Normal service now resumed thank heavens.

I did receive quite a few spam messages recently through my Yahoo account and very nearly pulled off a blinder.
Getting sick of people whose rich aunty/uncle/cat/goldfish has died and has untapped millions in the bank that they wish me to recover through my account, so I decided to try a little trick of my own. I asked one of these two bob losers to send me his account details and I would happily pass my bank details on. The plan was to do the same to the next one then send the first spammer the second one`s bank details just for a laugh then start a chain of similar ones so they all get ripped off. Nearly worked but scammer no. one got wise and spammer no. two then backed out.
I`ll keeep trying though, be really funny if it worked!
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

cavmad wrote:
I did receive quite a few spam messages recently through my Yahoo account and very nearly pulled off a blinder.
Getting sick of people whose rich aunty/uncle/cat/goldfish has died and has untapped millions in the bank that they wish me to recover through my account, so I decided to try a little trick of my own. I asked one of these two bob losers to send me his account details and I would happily pass my bank details on. The plan was to do the same to the next one then send the first spammer the second one`s bank details just for a laugh then start a chain of similar ones so they all get ripped off. Nearly worked but scammer no. one got wise and spammer no. two then backed out.
I`ll keeep trying though, be really funny if it worked!

It's amazing how many European trillionnaires travel surrounded by their extended family in Nigeria and suffer total fatalities!!!!!
I like this plan and if it proceeded it would at least waste the scammers time even if it fell short of the money. It falls into the category of "Don't get mad, get even"!

Seriously though and a word of caution, getting an email from them does not mean they know how to contact you but if you reply your address is captured and as a consequence your spam (& scam) email can rise exponentially.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks, I`ll think of some way of getting them back I can assure you! BTW one car site I frequent (not this one) seems to attract these loops even more than others. It`s quite funny sometimes to find e-mails addressed to Mr Mad (how do they know!) and equally funny to receive e-mails from the head of the lottery informing me I`ve untold millions waiting for me.
Gives the game away when their spelling is like a dyslexic version of that stupid text talk that`s sweeping the nation and the reply e-mail address is something like NigelOwusuNcongo@Nigerdelta.com :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

[quote="cavmad"]It`s quite funny sometimes to find e-mails addressed to Mr Mad (how do they know!)

I agree, I wonder how I am addressed by my middle name sometimes as a surname when I only use this for official purposes. BUT as this is only ever provided by me along with my surname, their research or eavesdropping can only be patchy at best. (Or they're just thick!)

Hope to hear more as your plan comes together.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Dear Mr 2 I've got £3,000,000 unclaimed prize from the Isle of Skye lottery.Please send me £1000+2BX spheres and I will tell you how to claim it :D :P :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Barnsley BXer wrote:Dear Mr 2 I've got £3,000,000 unclaimed prize from the Isle of Skye lottery.Please send me £1000+2BX spheres and I will tell you how to claim it :D :P :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.