Handbrake cable(s).

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Handbrake cable(s).

Post by cavmad »

I believe these are located on the front of the car, are they relatively easy to access and replace and are they still available from Citroen please?
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes Yes and Yes. They're not expensive either. Haven't you got any S/H ones.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Cav, I've been thinking of doing this myself so I studied the Haynes. It looks relatively simple - you have to remove the centre console, disconnect the cables from the handle, at the other end unhook from the caliper, feed the cables through the various eyes and brackets on each side and withdraw from inside the car. My only worry is making sure the new one is threaded back properly through all these eyes and brackets. Haynes has a drawing, but it's not particularly clear. As far as I'm aware the h/brake cables are available from Citroen, but I see em pop up on fleebay from time to time.

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I think many motor factors do BX handbrake cables too. Certainly my local factors stock just about every handbrake cable under the sun.
this might be a signature
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

yes, quite simple job unless at the caliper ends they happen to have corroded into the caliper, which i had once, pain in the neck.

but im sure everyones are fine :-)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Haven't you got any S/H ones.
A little tongue in cheek Ken?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Hand brake cables.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Not too complecated a job but what I have found is that some cables that are supplied (by a well known supplier of parts for French and other cars.) have a very thick protective sleeve at the caliper end which is also so stiff that it is difficult to bend the cable, so much so that the wire loop that is attatched to the hub as a guide is snapped off when the wheel is turned on lock. They are not available and will have to be repaired. Also the cable can rub through on the wheel rim. Just something to watch for.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Billy, before you go replacing cables make sure the cable is actually at fault.

My handbrake didnt work on one wheel which was highlighted to me by my MOT man.

He said "the cable has probably gone" but in reality it was actually the little spring inside the caliper that had broken.
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thankyou good people, I will probably strip the petrol hatchback down (now at the unit) and weigh the job up first. I`m actually going to try and get the car onto it`s side with a forklift and as long as it`s secured properly I can continue stripping bits off it including the petrol tank with all that lovely free juice as well as rear arms, wheels and tyres and spheres. Then a 20 yard trek on back of nearest truck or trailer to the scrap metal yard across the road!
The TZD is gradually starting to improve with minor work though the spheres are so jellyish I really don`t want to drive it until they are sorted. Vanny says there is a pressure point somewhere near the radiator which would need releasing before removing spheres, I`ll look for that when I get a chance.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The handbrake support brackets fall off anyway - out of my 2 cars - 16 valve - 58,000 and BX TD 163,000 when I got it - 3 out of 4 brackets had dropped off (the one remaining was on the TD curiously) - and both cars had standard brake cables.

Quinton Haxell make a single cable which I think fits a Xantia as well and it has a thich blue plastic sleeve which prevents the bracket cutting through. An alternative would be to cover the standard one with a split section of garden hose in the appropriate area.

I was warned that it was a difficult job - but when i did it was surprised how easy it was. Usual rules - have a good look and count the brackets before you start (If in doubt you could chalk them or something I suppose - but if you compare the 2 sides before you start you'll then have the other for comparison purposes).

I think I removed the old one and then threaded the new through all the brackets up to the lever then fitted it to the brake last and adjusted it according to Haynes.

New cables aren't expensive and the brake should work very well when done (One road test got the thing over 0.5G - which is the MOT requirement for a footbrake!) - but remember - it will release itself if the discs are hot when it is applied and it is not applied very firmly. (Discs shrink as they cool and release the brake - so car runs away!)

jeremy

jeremy