Silver TGD Meteor

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
richardd1652
1K Away

Silver TGD Meteor

Post by richardd1652 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-CITROEN-BX19 ... 3360a7b1a4

Original wheel trims! Doesnt say mileage and has LHM leak but well tested etc and cam belt changed etc.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Seller wrote:,there are some small rust bubles here and there
Never seems to be a good issue on a Meteor, does it? :(

Perhaps there's truth in Meteors being long-term field stored cars tarted up for a trendy sale by Citroen. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Mileage 124000m.
Ive never heard that rumour?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Looks an honest enough car and wouldn't take much I guess to get it looking really smart.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I bought this car today. I had to give up the CX and got a 5 series as a stopgap but it was too expensive on fuel and less fun to drive and own than a BX. I traded the 5 in for the BX, quite literally, and the new owner does not know which family member he is going to give the BMW to yet :-)

Its tidy, but has the odd ding and some localised areas of grot on the inner front wings, and seems to have been laid up in a field for a number of years, but still seems solid underneath. Most suprisingly, the clucth and gearbox are superbly light, and it drives like the day it left the factory in terms of suspension, steering and brakes. I have never felt such good BX brakes, or maybe its just so long since I had a BX that I had forgotten how good they are.

My first job is front strut return pipes, then a clean, then dash bulbs, and then the two little patches of welding it will need. Its never been welded before, and I dont know if thats good or bad yet, but the inner wings are all I have found so far, and I have 7 months to do them so not noo worried.

The only odd thing I have noticed about the car is that toward the end of the drive home there was a very potent electrical burning smell, and now this smell seems to linger outside the car, but only if you stand directly behind it......Something astrological maybe? Its a Meteor afterall! :)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sure it's an electrical smell and not binding brakes?

I did find my TGD was making some 'hot' smells when mountain climbing with my foot right down. Never did find what that was - does leak a bit of oil from the rocker cover, so decided to agree that it was oil burning on the exhaust somewhere. Another possibility.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I am inclined to suspect that the smell is the leaking front return pipe, and when I left the motorway and hit a fast yet rounderbout heavy section of road I heated the brakes and wheels up and burnt some LHM. Does anyone know if LHM could smell of electrical burning?
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

It was just LHM burning off the brakes. I think there may be some truth in the Meteors being older than their registration suggests. The engine seems to be the early square port one even though the car is a 1991 car, and by this point should have the later engine. I don't know this for sure yet but the engine does not look like the later one I had in my old TGD estate, and is definately not as quick.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome back Adamski, good to have you.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....