4x4 Estate needing a home

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Good save Brian, a set of proper wheel trims and a wash down and it will look a different car.Love the colour.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Thanks Richard - there's a lot more to do to it than that though :-) and actually the colour is not for me so that'll have to go. It's been standing many years so I've got rusty nuts :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

electrokid wrote:
Winner!
If you're going to buy a BX estate that's the one to get for rarity alone. Let us know how you get on please, plenty of pictures and what not.
Oh yes - there will be pics etc :-) It wasn't particularly the rarity factor more the engineering idea of getting something that will do the job very well - and I'm sure this will - especially my fetish for going out for a drive in 12" of snow to take pics :-)
Andy's making noises about having to get rid of some other motors so if any more of interest to y'all comes up,
He mentioned a TGD estate that might be along soon...
Good on you Brian, glad its gone to a loving home!
Cheers - I'll do my best with it Tim :-) I don't think it will be ready for this Winter's snow. Springtime is the right time of year to find a car that needs work - not Autumn when the weather is closing in - but I couldn't walk past this one :-)
Nice one, will really look forward to seeing the pictures as you do it up. Will it want much work do you think or is it all pretty reasonable?
Vauxhall apologist.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

welcome to the 4x4 club you have inspired me to drag mine out of the garage and get mobile!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

welcome to the 4x4 club you have inspired me to drag mine out of the garage and get mobile!
Thank you citroen7 - I wonder how many of us there are ?
Will it want much work do you think or is it all pretty reasonable?
Lots... basic jobs as follows in brief...
Get it running on an outside fuel tank and put enough LHM in to get it to rise so I can get a rear wheel off to find where the strap has got stuck after transporting it so I can take the last strap back to the trailer hire place and get my deposit back :-) Fuel pump is suspect and carb needs recon.

Exhaust and fuel tank off - get stst exhaust made up and check fuel tank which may have rust in - fuel lines may have muck in so replace.
While those are off treat surface rust around the back end.
Sort LHM leaks - quite a few.
Straighten wing / door / sort trim.
Replace fuel tank inlet pipe which has rusted away.

Might MOT at that stage - various other things to do for that.
Other things in the plan but plans might change...
Replace Solex with Weber - poss BG and water vapour addition / changes to inlet temp control - erm - there's an 'etc' there as well :-) If I can't find the right Weber then fit something else - DGAV DGAS or DCOE and re-jet as required and make manifold adapter to fit it.
Rewire - it's already burnt out the wires to the plip and the new battery already bought is another Bosch S5015 - if anything shorts out with that on board it will burn very well and very quickly - best to be safe than sorry.

Respray - apologies to folks who actually like this colour but I've christened it 'Turgid Blue' :-) I'm sure part of the problem is that it hasn't seen a sponge in a long time.

Basically - the bodyshell just has a couple of do-able wrinkles - the engine sounds fine and Chis has checked the clutch and 4x4 stuff as much as possible in a very short drive and it looks ok - so everything important looks solid but everything that doesn't like standing for 10 years is rusted / stuck etc. Even the bolt that holds the battery clamp is rusted solid.

It could do with the approach adopted by the Royal Navy - if it moves then oil it - if it doesn't then paint it :-)
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I expect given a full valet it will look like a different car Brian, respraying that car would cost alot more than its worth.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

That'll be some car when it's done, Brian :D

The bx range was blessed with some fairly industrial colours. Was there ever a daytona yellow?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well there's Todd's...

And I always fancied an orange BX...

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Both of those colours look fantastic :wink: I do like bold, flat colours.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

respraying that car would cost alot more than its worth.
It's new battery nearly doubled its current value Tim :lol:
I do like bold, flat colours.
And I wondered what a BX would look like if the window surrounds were the same colour as the rest of the car - the orange looks good that way.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Who cares how much the respray would cost? Your car, your choice and you should be congratulated on doing this one up.
Vauxhall apologist.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I reckon that a big reason behind rare cars of little financial value surviving, is people willing to spend more than they are worth on them.
Any ideas what colour yet? I've never seen one in bright green, but there may be a good reason for that...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Mat F wrote
Any ideas what colour yet? I've never seen one in bright green, but there may be a good reason for that...
Remy has a Citroen colour chart for the Mk.1 BXs and there was featured such a green - a bright apple green - never seen a BX in that colour though.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Not 100% sure yet - but I liked this slightly greenish gold seen at Stratty.

2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

electrokid wrote:Not 100% sure yet - but I liked this slightly greenish gold seen at Stratty.

Lovely colour, on a sleek SM, the estate being a bit more slab sided though, 4x4s are rare anyway, see what its like when all polished up, and yes I will give you a hand if needed :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....