BX 16V Auto

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

BX 16V Auto

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I got a call today off a chap in the CCC wanting to know if an auto box could be put into a BX 16v?

Without knowing anything about the auto box i'm assuming like most auto's they're pretty fragile. So potentially the power of the 16v might not be suitable but i suppose the question is:

Is it possible? :?:
Over and out from me
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

No other question in the world's history of ever has ever made this following word so fitting.

Why? :P

(Unless he's disabled and wants to experience the engine, in which case I retract above comment!) :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I doubt the BX auto box would take the power but I suppose one from a V6 Xantia or even an XM would take it, providing it would fit.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The Xant V6 box is controlled by an ECU so you may encounter problems. Andy C will have a spare in his garden among the plantation no doubt. Technically it would bolt on however. The later XM with ES engine uses the same setup so same story again. The earlier ZP engines were a different layout i believe.

The strongest contender I'd say would be the auto box from the XM 2.1TD's or if you can find it....one from a 2.0 16v Xant or 406 because they're all XU engines and very similar, all be it a cast block. The ratios on an auto box would give it on par performance with a milkfloat however, mainly because the 16v thrives on 4.5k + rpm and short gear ratios which autos obviously don't usually have!
Plus, for the economy the 16v gives when it is having its neck rung, you expect it to deliver the performance for the amount of cash it's swallowing! :lol:

Would be better to fit a 2.0 CT engine like in an Activa. Very low rev band and a punchy turbo would keep it shifting. Would be smoother than a pint of John Smiths on a hot day. Fuel bill would hurt though!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

It's an old thread, for sure, but I thought it may be an interesting update: I have 16v with auto in it, namely 4HP14, previous owner fitted it and have been driving the car for a few years. It's a bit strange driving experience, though.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Blimey, get some piccies of your car up on the site pronto please & have you filmed said beast on youtube, we've gotta see this thing being driven :D Otherwise i may not believe you :wink: :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

MULLEY wrote:Blimey, get some piccies of your car up on the site pronto please & have you filmed said beast on youtube, we've gotta see this thing being driven :D Otherwise i may not believe you :wink: :lol:
Well, for now I have only two photos taken a month ago: 1, 2, but these are shots from the outside, so nothing fancy. I'll get some movie this week.

I wasn't even aware that this car is such a rarity 8)
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I assume the 16v engine was put into a GTi or TZD body, by the look of it (no 16v body kit).
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Very rare, possibly as rare as the only 2 Turbo Diesel auto's, one in the UK & one in Holland that are known on the site.

Lovely looking car with ace alloy's, looking forward to seeing it on youtube.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I assume the 16v engine was put into a GTi or TZD body, by the look of it (no 16v body kit).
indeed, body shell is 1.6 pallas, but most of the parts were swapped with damaged 16v (except for the seats, unfortunately, and aircon radiator and compressor). Later on it was bought by a person with leg disabilities. The man put auto in there and drove the car happily for a few years, even attending two amateur sports events.

Then it was bought by me 8)

EDIT: here is the movie from the ride. Another one I've made shows interior and engine, but since it's nothing special I didn't upload it yet.
Last edited by akarso on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Interesting stuff.
I have toyed with the idea of stuffing an autobox in my 16v since my left leg as less use than a labour politician these days, although I ws going to have an epicyclic and diff made specially for it..

I assume the flexiplate is from a 8V GTi auto for the CAS?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

docchevron1472 wrote:I assume the flexiplate is from a 8V GTi auto for the CAS?
I have no idea how it was made, I thought it was pretty much bolt on mod. I can ask previous owner all technical questions, if You want.

BTW - is there any other autobox that would fit in the car, or any way to make stronger the one I already have?

First of all, I am not yet sure if I want to keep current setup, it's tempting in many ways, but I have a feeling that crankshafts are made of rubber every time I floor the pedal :roll:

But keeping it or not, I'd like to rebulid and tune the engine, probably n/a. My aim is somewhere between 180 - 200 HP (on the flywheel). I doubt that 4HP14 will be able to stand the torque, then. So either swap for manual, swap for stronger auto, or strengthening current transmission (have no idea if it is possible and no idea about the cost).
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, the auto has no flywheel as such, it's replaced with a flexiplate, sot he teeth ont he flywheel that are used to sense engine position would be required to tell the ECU where the engine is..
AFAIK the 8V is not the same as the 16v teeth, although I've never actually checked..

I'd be amazed if the autobox would take 200BHP for very long TBH.
I imagine it would melt!

ZF are really very helpful if you have lots of money and tell them exactley what you want. They built me a box for a TD to spec, and it works very well, but it took then 3 months to make it and get it to me, and it cost, er, rather a lot more than the car is worth by a fairly scary margin.

The siemens box off the V6 should cope with it, but it then comes back to the problem of the CAS and how to drive it, and fitting it all in a BX!

You could just tune it and see how long the box lasts?
Wouldn't have thought the torque converter, brake band or clutches would take it though for long...

Really interesting stuff though, it's something I've been idly thinking about for a while..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...