Bargain?

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Bargain?

Post by cavmad »

Just bought a brand new front wheel bearing for my BX from eBay. £2.50 plus £2.50 postage, he had quite a few. Seems very fair to me-how does that compare to GSF and main dealer prices please?
I`ve been getting a high pitched sort of squeeling/whistling noise from the o/s/f wheel and thought it may have been the bearing. It stops if you turn the wheel slightly but it`s bloody annoying. Asked the lad in my local garage who thinks it may be a brake problem. That makes sense as the MOT said that the brakes on one side were not as good as the other and they did smell very hot recently. They do pull the car up well though, in actual fact I`ve never had a car with such good brakes as my BX. It`s another of those things that attract me to the car :D
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i have two bearings from the same guy! There no SKF, infact there a little cheap looking, but they include the bolt and snap ring which is better than most places! I figure they may not last as long but really, who cares if they work and are that cheap!

Just need to find rear bearings as cheap!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I pay about that too.

Oh the joys of the staff discount scheme! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers, I`m sort of hoping that`s not the problem and it`s just a sticking caliper or something that can easily be repaired or greased or something. I`ve started to make an effort with the creaking suspension today, lifet up the gaitors over the struts and tried soaking rags in LHM and replacing the covers. Partial success in that I`ve managed to lift the gaitors up at the bottom end of the struts (couldn`t get them off at the top) and inser one crappy pice of rag on the nearside but it`s a token effort really. Considering I did it in Morrison`s car park whilst `she-who-must-be-obeyed` was shopping it wasn`t a bad effort I suppose! Mind you she does disappear for bleeding ages in there. I could probably have rebuilt the engine and gearbox and still had time for a few hours kip whilst I as there!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Cavmad- I tried this method on my last BX but in fact the best way is to follow Tom Shepperds easy strut lubricating method which I found on the BX club site- I did it on my BX the other day and the ride is a lot nicer, especially over already smooth roads where its the biger bumps and undulations that are most significant as opposed to short sharp bumps that BX's are not good at absorbing anyway. In short, the method is to clean the outside of the rubber front strut return pipes from where they join onto the metal conectors, fill a cup with fresh LHM and strap the cup onto the pipes, and put the suspention up and down loads of times and as it goes up one of the two pipes sucks up fluid to a part of the strut that dries up and causes the sticking. Adam