Economy

Anything about BXs
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Economy

Post by stuart_hedges »

Finally got round to doing the maths! I've been meaning to ever since I got the acr, but just not got round to it. Went to Bristol over the weekend, a mix of motorway driving, pottering around town when I got there, and some really heavy traffic crawling through roadworks. 395 miles took 40 litres, which the lovely bit of software I downloaded from http://www.drivearchive.co.uk calculates as just under 45mpg. I am very pleased with that!

The next most economical cars I've owned were the GSA's, which managed between 28 and 35 depending how you drove them, and the worst was the CX, which ran at 18 come what may.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Wow! you must mash your accelerator pedal rather hard! I get 45-50MPG out of a 1.9TD 405 estate, and have had nearly 60mpg from a BX 1.9D.

And this will make you sick: I've not had my CX on the road for a long enough to get a consumption figure (it's off the road again now) but when the previous owner (tom) took it on a continental tour he managed 47mpg. (and yes, it's a mk1 TD, the most economical CX available)
this might be a signature
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

From an Aussie forum as a comparison. (Where I am taking the 'iss out of the one talking about how unreliable French cars are and promoting Jap crap and local rubbish.

"How often do we hear the gullible tell us tales about how expensive it is to keep a French car on the road and how they are money pits full of hidden traps for the unwary. The biggest hidden trap for the unwary IMHO wears overalls and tells stories that would do Hans Christian Anderson proud; here's my tale from last week.
On Thursday, I take my 2.0i Xantia manual with almost 230K klms on it and give it its annual oil change. I fit a new filter, total cost around $30. Check tyres, coolant and washer fluid; all seem good.
Friday early we load up. 5 adults ranging from me the smallest @ 5'6" and 78kgs to 6'5" son and all sizes in between.
Luggage on par with a trip around the World filling the boot, parcel shelf, floor in front of SWMBO who always allows enough spare gear to carry us through a Nuclear holocaust as well as a pile of crap under the feet of the rear seat passengers. We take off on a 900+ klms each way trip around 6am. Arrive at our destination 10 hours later after a couple of stops. The cars thermometer shows 47C as we arrive that rises to 49 as we park it up at the Motel. A few local trips and Sunday we head home still full as a goog, still same 5 passengers. Cover one stretch of around 120 klms at an average speed of just over 130 KPH. Hit a regional area out west and it records a massive 50 C in the main street. It takes until around 8 hours into the trip for the reading to drop below 40 so air/con has been thumping away all the way in both directions.
Average speed for entire trip including several stops in excess of 90 KPH, full load (and then some) air/con on all the way, average external temp approx 43 - 45 deg C and fuel consumption 9L/100klms.
Problems? I seem to have blown a low beam on the passengers side headlight.
Was passed by one car, a Dunnydoor who sneaked past at the end of one divided lane and then got under my feet so I went round him.
Moral of the story, what else could I have bought for less than $5K that could have matched this performance? Any suggestions???

Alan S "
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

David,

The CX was a 2.4 c-matic with a knackered carb so I make no apologies for the consumption on that!

As for the current 19D... it took us seven hours to cover the 200 miles from Canterbury to Bristol so you can imagine how bad the traffic was. I look forward to bettering that figure when I next do the run NOT on a Friday night!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Alan, isn't it great when things work out well like that. Sounds like a test designed to break a car. Glad it survived!

Reminds me of a 520 mile trip I did from Southern France to the UK in a overladen Mercedes 300SE - complete with roof box at an average of 72mph (115 kph). It took about 9 hours, just stopping for fuel and a bite.

Great. Except it used up about 30 gallons (136 litres). That's less than 18 mpg (6.1 litres/100km)! And that was without the air con...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Stuart... Yep... I can see why both of those instances *might* not have given the best consumption figures!

and I have to say, I've had my fair share of poor fuel consumption in the past too... using a 1978 3.5 V8 range rover to tow a 3 tonne flatbed trailer.... 11mpg anyone? :shock:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Can better that, my mates got a defender 4.0 V8 auto we went all the way to Bournemouth to fetch a MGB on a trailer and averaged 8 mpg! He does have a heavy right foot!
silverfox
Confirmed BX'er

Economy

Post by silverfox »

Strewth! I filled my tank to brim in Wrexham, drove 620 miles to France and still had just under 1/4 tank at destination that lasted me for days pottering about! How's that for economy? Mind you I never did over 60mph all the way due to my cracked head! LOL. Any maths wizard out there to roughly calculate the mpg?
Me depressed? Don't make me laugh!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I didn't think Defenders were ever fitted with autoboxes, only Discoveries.

and mr silverfox, that's nearing 65mpg... not bad indeed!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

This a limited edition 40th anniversary Defender, it has aircon too, it has a 4.0V8 rangerover engine and box fitted as part if the anniversary package and my god it flies!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I think Tims mate has the '40th Anniversary' limited edition Defender.

They all had 4.0 V8's with auto boxes.
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Ah... that explains it! the 40'th anniversary land rover... the least economic land rover ever produced!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

filled my tank to brim in Wrexham, drove 620 miles to France and still had just under 1/4 tank at destination that lasted me for days pottering about
if it's a turbo BX it has the 66 litre tank. My guesstimating method for not running too low on diesel is to allow 10 miles per litre, which I think approximates to 40-45mpg. Something tells me you exceeded that by some margin!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

When I was running my TZD estate I never used to fill up unless it had 600 on the clock. The most I achived was 749, I wanted to get it to 750 but the next filling station was about 10 miles away, so decided not to bother.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I can manage about 350miles on a full tank.

Usually only pop £20 in at a time, which pulls about 150miles....on Optimax its around 28mpg.....I'm fairly happy with that seeing as I rinse it everywhere :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)