That Preview Again.

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

That Preview Again.

Post by Tim Leech »

Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Weirdly, even though i have an almost identical car, thats tempting, Hmmmmmmm.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Stinkwheel wrote:Weirdly, even though i have an almost identical car, thats tempting, Hmmmmmmm.
Its got GTi seats! it would clean up a treat too the Tropez did....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Its the one i was supposed to be having.It was going to be delivered,then it wasnt .I have been trying to find a way of getting it collected then it turns up on Ebay and Gumtree so i dont know whats going on?

Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I was thinking of this car for my brother, but when I called the seller a second time the guy told me the condition of the engine had deteriorated with likely head gasket problems...Those problems must have not turned out to be the head gasket or...
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

richardd1652 wrote:Its the one i was supposed to be having.It was going to be delivered,then it wasnt .I have been trying to find a way of getting it collected then it turns up on Ebay and Gumtree so i dont know whats going on?

Richard.

Thats a bit worrying and unusual.
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Im not trying to put anybody of this little car as i think it has loads of potential and if i had the money sat in my pocket right this second it would be mine,however the vendor needs it to go asap from what i gather for personal reasons im not going to go into on the forum.
I have had discussions with Simon via pm and through the link previousely listed and it does need engine work.It may well be just the head gasket as it suddenly got pushed into London traffic situations from a gentle life in Norfolk so may never experienced rush hour traffic till recently.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

What concerns me is there's no mention of potential head gasket failure/problems on the eBaY listing and he has time to amend it.
Vauxhall apologist.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

''It came from Norfolk and so has been driven gently and sensibly by its three previous owners.''

What a load of b-llocks!

It came from Norfolk so stinks of turkey poop!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
slimlavud

Post by slimlavud »

1. If you want to buy this car, it has been on the forum here and no-one has actually come up with the money.

2. It says clearly that it runs lumpy and I don't know why. I am not clairvoyant nor do i have x-ray vision that can diagnose faults through solid metal so I don't know if it has a blown head gasket or just worn out valve guide oils seals, rabies or tuberculosis.

3. People have ample opportunity to come and view the car, drive it, jack it up and even take things to pieces to inspect them if they put them back.

This is how ebay works if you are not familiar with it. If you want to buy the car, go ahead and bid. If you don't, it might be better to expend some of your time doing something more constructive than sucking your teeth online and worrying about something you are not concerned with.

I do not wish to be rude but I have had it with blowbags and messers who waste my time and criticise without helping. If you want to help, come down to London and either buy it or take the head off and replace the gasket for me - as you all seem to be sure that is what is wrong with it...
slimlavud

Post by slimlavud »

cavmad wrote:What concerns me is there's no mention of potential head gasket failure/problems on the eBaY listing and he has time to amend it.
This is a prime example - how exactly does this concern you?

And I personally am having potential head gasket problems dealing with this car...

All engines have 'potential head gasket failure/problems' as they also have potential accident problems and potential doors falling off problems - again, if you are gifted with this second sight then perhaps you can help me fix the 'head gasket problem' through the telephone wires?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

slimlavud wrote:
cavmad wrote:What concerns me is there's no mention of potential head gasket failure/problems on the eBaY listing and he has time to amend it.
This is a prime example - how exactly does this concern you?

And I personally am having potential head gasket problems dealing with this car...

All engines have 'potential head gasket failure/problems' as they also have potential accident problems and potential doors falling off problems - again, if you are gifted with this second sight then perhaps you can help me fix the 'head gasket problem' through the telephone wires?
So you tell Adamski the 'engine had detiorated with likely head gasket problems' but now you say you don't know what the problem is?

So here's what i think: You probably know it is (or you wouldn't have mentioned it yourself) and rather than be honest and state it on the listing you make a passing reference to it running a bit rough and hope the bids come flying in.
I would then expect when the buyer finds out the hg is knackered and gets back to you about it you'll just say 'tough shit, it says on the listing it runs rough' and the buyer will be out of pocket because you knew full well what the problem is.

That's how it might look to me and probably to others too. Now that my old chum is bang out of order in my book because that kind of thing has wrecked eBaY and will possibly cost the buyer a shed load of money and agro to sort out.

Are you honestly telling me you have no idea how to tell if the headgasket looks like it's on it's way out?

I must say the old 'it came from Norfolk so has been driven gently and sensibly' actually probably speaks volumes on it's own.
:roll:
Vauxhall apologist.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Nothing to do with this car or this sale but just some information i had passed to me by a friend and peugeot/citroen trained mechanic (who still works in a pu dealers............

His words upon see-ing my 14TU engined car close up and personal for the first time were " Oh its got the usual TU head gasket leaks, i mean oil misting outwards, they all do that to some extent, dont worry, just keep driving it, it'll be fine. Mind you TU head gaskets, about a mornings work at best for the home mechanic, i can do them in a couple of hours"

So to deduce.......

TU head gaskets are easy. A lot of them oil mist outwards.

As i say of no relation here, just TU and head gasket info :) :)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

^That's certainly what it sounds like to me too. And if it were valve stems and not head gasket, it'd still be a pretty major repair required.

Billy has only voiced what I, at least, was thinking.

Did you discuss the problem with the old friend who sold you the car? Did he have any idea about why the car should have developed these faults so soon after the sale? I would have.