Pair of BX TZDs, Carlow, Ireland.

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
macplaxton
BXpert

Pair of BX TZDs, Carlow, Ireland.

Post by macplaxton »

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Just a tad expensive if you ask me considering the hole in the tailgate and the various dents, and.....
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Tis indeed expensive, but considering the Vehicle Registration Tax* to register an import is 36% of a minimum Open Market Selling Price** of €2000, it'd cost €720 on import for anything from the UK that is less than 30 years old.

So much for free movement of goods round the EU. :roll:

Annual Motor tax would be around €500 to boot too, that's why you don't see many. ;)

*Applied to all cars at first registration, Import Duty disguised.
** OMSP, book price cooked up by the Society of Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) and the tax man. You can guess whose favour that leans in.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Bloody hell!! Yeah, free market my arse! Half the family is off doing our tobacco run to Belgium today which we have to do several times a year because of the crazy logic over smoking.

If I die of lung cancer at 65 how does that cost the country more than if I go on to live to a hundred??? (My old Gran smoked until she died at 94).
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

I've got to the stage where I think tobacco is (relatively) cheap in the UK!

All swings and roundabouts, because Jobseeker's Allowance is very generous here. (€198 pw)

The Dutch have a similar VRT scam called BPM.

One of the few reasons I run a GS as a daily is that being pre-1980, I don't need to MOT it, being over 30 years I only pay €50 VRT and €48 annual Motor Tax. The sting is insurance costs me 6x what it does it the UK. :cry:
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Technically the VRT (registration tax) in Ireland is illegal under EU law, but they make up their own rules here. Indeed it is €720 for any car that their system doesn't have the CO2 emissions for, which for older cars is most of them. I registered my TZD turbo for €400 as they do have CO2 emissions on their system as 141g for the hatchback of that model. The only other one they have is the 16v which is about €560 i think. I had to register my estate as a hatchback to get the €400 rate, which could have insurance implications if faced with a pedantic investigator when claiming. It's a complicated and annoying system.

Annual 'motor tax' rates here are high. My XM is €614 a year and the BX was €540, which is one of the reasons i can't justify having two cars on the road.

In general a car like the BX could in theory be sold for a fair bit more here than in the UK, cars generally are. I have many times dreamt of opening up a 'practical classics' garage importing the BX, sorting them and selling them to keep them alive, but its alot of driving and ferrying! Anyway i sold my TZD for a charitable sum to an enthusiast here who has about 6 other BXs so i feel its gone to a good home, but for nothing like the price i could've got on the market with a fresh NCT.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Hey Macplaxton,
i'd love to run a GS as a daily! I might get one one day.

By the way, FBD do a classic insurance deal for cars over 20 years old. min. is €133 for third party and €200 for fully comp. You have to be registered with the Irish Vintage Society 1st. PM me if you want details. Our '88 Saab 900 is fully comp for €200. There is supposed to be a mileage limit of 5000 a year, but i have never entered any figures anywhere, even after a recent rear end shunt into her which led me via an insurance claim on a goose chase for unobtainable rear bumpers. Got a s/h one in the end, which the insurance are fine paying for + the fitting. Anyway get the GS on that!
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

GS is insured this year with First Ireland, as a main vehicle, 10k limit. €600 Additional vehicle is DAF 44 estate on 2k limit for additional €85.

In previous years it was insured by AXA, but that was a standard motor policy which was offered at last renewal for €582.

Whilst I have full NCD, I think the small matter of a theft claim hasn't helped.

4 cars with Footman James in the UK comp/unlimited mileage/no main vehicle/breakdown cover, all for a £124. ;)

A lot of my cars I've had, have been 20+ years old, but since moving to Ireland, I've had to raise that to 30+.

I don't think estates are going to pass as hatchback now the NCT are inspecting vehicles on behalf of the Revenue for registration. :lol: