Fleix hoses.

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Fleix hoses.

Post by tim leech »

What sort of time does it take to change the two front flexi hoses on a 19 petrol bx guys? Mine failed on both and where I work going to change them for me but i dont want to get ripped off!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Very quick, ten to fifteen minutes per side, barring seized nipples, rusty unions .there are two types ABS and non ABS .
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Thread hi-jack time! :oops: Whats the difference between ABS and non-ABS pipes?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

GSF do list two types of flexis, only £7.50 each tho so a bargain. Do you not have to worry about getting air in the system?
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

You will get air in the system so its essential the brakes are bled after the hoses have been changed.
Over and out from me
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

Mr B wrote:Thread hi-jack time! :oops: Whats the difference between ABS and non-ABS pipes?

The first is for a car with ABS fitted and the second is .... :^o
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The ends of the flexi that connect to the metal pipe on the car are different, can't remember which way round it is but I think the ABS ones aren't theaded as deep as the non abs ones.

I know they dont interchange, I have two ABS ones in the garage. :x
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Flexables.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi as far as I can remember, not far, there is a difference in metal pipe diameter. The ABS one being bigger.
Cheers.
Geoff.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Im confused, the brakes are powered by the hydarulic system? how do you bleed it? I thought it was like engine oil and you couldnt get air in it! Shows what I know lol!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

tim leech wrote:Im confused, the brakes are powered by the hydarulic system? how do you bleed it?
The same way you bleed any sealed fluid system... by shoving fluid in one end until fluid clear of air bubbles comes out the other end.

The great thing about the powered hydraulic system is that you can use the pump to shove fluid in one end. Much easier than a standard brake system.
this might be a signature
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

The trouble being, it seems, that a lot of garages didn't bleed the brakes as a matter of course after changing the LHM... and on a low mileage car, how long might it take before the brake pads wear out...?

Hence caliper bleed nipples that are seized solid and snap readily unless (or even if!) treated with several good doses of WD40 and or applications of heat.

I found this out to my cost when a garage changed my front flexi's, fixed a brake return pipe leak under the front subframe and replaced a broken handbrake cable bracket.

I got a phone call to say that while attempting to bleed the brakes, they'd snapped both bleed screws, and therefore had to charge me for a set of recon calipers (£70 each I believe, but fitted free of charge)

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mnde wrote:I got a phone call to say that while attempting to bleed the brakes, they'd snapped both bleed screws, and therefore had to charge me for a set of recon calipers (£70 each I believe, but fitted free of charge)
Things like this REALLY annoy me, and is another good example of why I don't trust a single person in the motor industry.

Of all the heaps of junk cars I've owned over the years, and the even greater heaps of junk I've worked on, I have NEVER sheared off a brake bleed nipple! All it takes is some care, some thought and some time to get anything un-seized. Something that garages don't seem to be able to do.

(granted, I have rounded a couple off, but they've still been taken out and replaced with a new bleed nipple)
this might be a signature
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The difference is that the ABS cars use bigger stel lines for the brakes, 4.5mm as opposed to 3.5mm for the non ABS ones, Dave, I have sheared a few brake nipples in my time but not so many nowadays, the citroen ones seem a bit thin to me :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Don't forget to bleed the the FRONT brakes in low suspension position (i.e. suspension not under load), and do the opposite for the rears when you need to do them.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you break the front caliper bleed nipples off you can probably bleed the brake by undoing the flexi hose a bit, - when under pressure from the brakes (engine running, pedal down) - you'll probably get LHM everywhere - over you as well but the brakes will probably bleed!

jeremy