BRAND NEW BX!

Anything about BXs
tim leech

BRAND NEW BX!

Post by tim leech »

Lol I wish, i bet this topic gets some hits!

Is it possible tho, to build a brand new one? Ian told me that you can buy a new shell from Citroen still, but I imagine dashboards and seats arent available anymore!

And how much would it cost I wonder! and would it be a Q plate? So many questions lol Also do new cars have to pass different standards since 1994?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

It would be possible to put a new one together, perhaps using secondhand bits where it wouldnt matter, It would probably end up on a Q plate, careful though, a mate of mine built a special a while ago and they wanted to charge him VAT on his own labour?????
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thats crap isnt it! I hate q plates, I guess u would have to buy a donor car then and use some bits.

Q plates cant be transferred and you can put a private plate on them either!
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

It would only get a new reg if all new parts are used, otherwise a Q would be issued :(
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The registration of an old BX would be kept if you satisfy some conditions laid down by the DVLA. I think you have to have a reciept to prove that the shell is new, and have to use at least 4 major components of the old car. Effectively you are re-shelling the old BX and hence keep it's reg.

It may also be possible to get an "age related" plate. These are aimed more at Kit car builders to avoid a Q, it involves keeping a certain number of parts of one vehicle, and some other requirements.

I've not read the leaflet for a while, so I can't remember. But I know you could avoid a Q if you really wanted to.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

cant get the shells anymore! They removed them from orderable status not very long ago, but they where about £8000+vat +shipping from france so not a very good value purchase. Citroen also dont do most of the body panels or interior trim anymore so you would have to have them hand made or copied if you wanted brand new parts. I reckon you would have difficulty getting change from £100,000 if you went the whole hog!
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Why build a complete new one anyway, there are plenty of good condition bodyshells, you could strip it and give it extra rust proofing before a respray.

the engines can be rebuilt, trim cleaned or repaired,

You would have to strip a lot out to replace the wiring, but you would not need to change it all, just the weathered ends or where it bends at doors or the boot. You could even make some proper electrical connections.

So you could have an effectively brand new car if you wanted to spend the time and money.

If you provided most of the labour yourself, it would cost much less than a new C5 or similar modern alternative.

It would still be a 1980s designed car though, and only worth perhaps £2500 max on the market, if it was a 16V ot turbo D.

A used 2001 car would be a more sensible choice though, and considerably less effort.

Mike
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Vanny wrote:cant get the shells anymore! They removed them from orderable status not very long ago, but they where about £8000+vat +shipping from france so not a very good value purchase. Citroen also dont do most of the body panels or interior trim anymore so you would have to have them hand made or copied if you wanted brand new parts. I reckon you would have difficulty getting change from £100,000 if you went the whole hog!
£8K that really puts it into perspective when I bought a brand new 'E' reg BX19GT1 in 1989 for only £10K on-the-road price after a good haggle with the local main dealer! :D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

£8k is also a ridiculous price for a shell.

I once looked into re-shelling a Cavalier MK2. Shells were available from Vauxhaul at £695 if you collected. It still turned out to be not worth it.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Now you've started something VERY interesting!

While my local dealer said that they couldn't get the shells anymore, i've just checked PR net and while it doesn't tell you if there available, the shells have come down to a proper clearance price of

£2896.14 including vat! Now thats almost appealing!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thing is, even if you did make a 'New' BX, you'd never dare to drive it! - It would just have to be trailered from show to show!

However I can see there being a point in making a 'new' BX that was never actually made - like a coupé or a cabriolet, or one with a full length panoramic roof, or with a split rear door, or with a 2.1 turdo diesel (oh, sorry I think someone's already been there!), or how about a BX with three proper seat belts in the back, or one with reclining and moveable rear seats (as I believe the ZX had), one with .... and so on.

And then in a colour that was never a BX colour - say, two tone, or carry a theme over from another Citroen - like a Bamboo BX! :shock:

Ad infinitum :roll: :shock:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I suppose it all depends on what you want. Re-shelling oldies has become quite common for things like MGB's with new shells being made by BL heritage (Rover heritage?) and a couple of years ago I saw an article suggesting that you could more or less have your Mini re-incarnated for a cost (supply of a donor to be totally rebuilt got away from the serial number problem.)

The real question is does anyone really want the thing at the end. BX are good cars but how long am I going to want one? For some reason there seems to be an enduring demand for the MGB which means that good ones can be readily disposed of for some money. Same must go for the Austin Mini.

there seem to be some very nice BX around for a bit of a premium - but still £1000 will buy a lot of car and while those are around it doesn't seem worth re-shelling one - especially as I would imagine they are much more dificult to do than an MGB - the entire wiring of which is probably simpler than electric windows and locking on a 16 valve.

I must say I can feel a project coming on soon - not sure what it will be and am a bit restricted by the proximity of neighbours - so far as noises and smells go and late night working but I'm leaning in the direction of a Lo-cost or kit I think - was passed near farnham by a Porsche 356 (Replica?) yesterday which has got me thinking!

jeremy
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Hmmm, rallying a seam welded BX would be a lot easier if you started with a totally bare BX, and of course if it was for racing you could build it very strong very light (enough to be towed on a trailer behind a BX), and duely drive it onto a tree or rock :D
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I used to do loose surface motorsport (enduro) and the amount of damage things get is a little offputting, when i take the time to put a car together I want to enjoy it for a few years, wrapping it around a tree would totally ruin my day :cry:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft