Bx Height Control Lever

BX Tech talk
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Bx Height Control Lever

Post by Widgit »

I have just aquired a Bx 17 Turbo Diesel Estate.

The height lever does not seem to index in the position detents very well.

Is there a spring that should bias it toward the slots or is it just the shape of the lever itself that allows the correct indexing in position.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its action can never be described as positive - the lever is only a bit of bent wire hinged at about floor level and may well have bent a bit over the years - but somehow even when new I don't think they were ever nice and positive.

jeremy
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Widgit »

Thanks Jeremy..............I feel a modification coming on !
Now...........which of my many weopons of mass destruction shall I apply to the problem ? Ahem........I must be away to the shed and perform miracles !! :twisted:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Not really worth the bother - after all its not even something you use even every week is it - I'm sure some weren't used for years when the cars were new.

If it slips then a small bend to make it engage may help but if you are honest and try and push it around without deflecting it I don't think you'll find it moves. The indents really only prevent lowering movements and mine certainly has never crept high. Incidentally have you found the little block in the plastic adjacent to the running position so that you can check the position by touch!

jeremy
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Widgit

A good lubrication of the height corrector linkages under the car will work wonders. They're the bars that go along the length of the car. Greasing up the outside of the height correctors is also helpful - two little drum-like things tucked up behind the anti-roll bar.

The usual warning - don't try it unless the car is firmly on axle stands or ramps (although the way you talk about "weapons of mass destruction and modifications" it sounds like you're already experienced enough not to do something foolish)

Oscar
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I was considering modifying the plate where the lever engages to give a slightly lower than normal ride height for motorways like the continental guys do, I suppose it will be trial and error at first then cut another notch in the right place.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's intriguing. Do the 'continental guys' do that then?

Are there any safety implications?

I'd like about 15mm off ride height at speed as one of my few criticisms of the BX is it feels a bit 'high' at 70mph (+) :wink:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

i've seen a few cars riding low

what kind of hight do the guys on the mainland run there cars at?
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

Hi, this is funny - there is a flamewar raging on the local BX forum right now about lower-than-normal heights.
Purists insist that you should not tackle the height while "creative" ones suggest various mods.
The most creative approach I noticed was "use a piece of wire to tie the lever down to find a position that suits you best. Then mark the position and make an extra notch with yer axle grinder".
This experimentation probably will not hurt anything - it was found that one of the "creative ones" has been driving his BX for two years with incorrectly set height - only about an inch above the lowest setting :shock: !!!
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

When I had my previous BX I replaced the rear arm bearings and changed a few spheres ....like you do... I had a problem with the ride height at the front as I felt that it was riding a bit high and managed to speak to a guy at the place that I sourced the replacement bearings from. He informed me that after measuring the height that it was within limits but that the GTI's all run a bit lower than that ...BUT... if I did this the ride would be firmer. As I had use of a full car hoist at the time I experimented with the height controller and found various ride heights but none that suited me as well as the original. So by all means lower the height but there is a trade off.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Thats why I thought Id modify the "gate" part, I have GTI rear spheres so I dont run out of travel, I have experimented with lowering the ride height to a GTI type stance using the anti roll bar clamps but did not like it all of the time, cutting another register to enable a position between normal and on the bump stops seems like an elegant solution until I get around to fitting activa running gear :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Tried this this morning on the way home from the airport. M25 was relatively clear, so a good opportunity to experiment.

I was adjusting the height using the height selection lever in the airport car park - didn't play around with anti-roll bars. Moving the lever in either direction would produce no result for a while, and then a big move.

I selected the height where the car was about 2 inches lower than normal. (Can't be more precise - I wasn't measuring or being very scentific).

Primary observations: increase in road noise, and it's of a more "penetrative" quality, as if someone were drilling nearby.

Certainly less "float" over dips and road undulations - the ride was a lot more choppy.

As a control, I pulled up by the side of the m-way and put the height back to normal. INstantly quieter and more comfortable.

It's hard to see the advantage of the new position. If I want a harsh ride, I'll buy a car with dry suspension. And it's noisy enough without adding to it. Are there any fuel consumption advantages?

Other questions are raised too. If one modifies a slot for m-way travel, how does one select it? Set off on ordinary roads in the new lower height? Pull up on the slip road and adjust? Can one adjust on the go? I was always told not to.

Think I'll remain a "purist".

O
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Widgit »

Thanks for the help guys........I 've got this problem pretty well sorted now.
I now have a fresh problem which I will record in a new post as it has no connection to ride height.
Thanks again,

Tim. :)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I change the height of my car pretty much every single day i drive it, whats the point of having it if you dont use it! I do tow every other weekend and while its a great party trick (up to the top, drop the wheel, unhook and back to the bottom) it makes like much much easier! I quite often adjust the height so i can see where the trailer is going as well!

My most common motorway journey take me on a stretch of elevated road which gets quite a bit of cross wind. If its really windy i will pretty much always lower the car by the lever a little to reduce the cross surface area and increase stiffness, as any BX driver knows there not exactly heavy and the slightest breeze tends to throw the car around quite a bit! I'll also lower the car on fast flast stretches of motorway, i find it gives better responce from the steering and suspension albeit not always as comfortable.

I dont have an extra notch cut in (whats the point?) as i find the lever will stay in what ever position i put it in and has never wandered off, all the bars are well lubed as are the pivots on the HC's so it moves very freely, however there is more than enough friction between adjuster and handle to keep it firmly in place!

On the 19rd i had a similar problem in that the arm wouldnt seem to go back into the slots and found a couple of days of lubing and moving from min to max seemed to help it return to normal. Not really sure how it worked as the up and down movement of the lever is in the opposite plane to the left right movement and really shouldn't have been affected, but it was! Good to see you've ogt it sorted widgit!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Vanny do you move it around on the go? Is that OK? What do others think?

The previous owner of my first BX was very clear that you can't do that.

O