Underpants on the outside and cape blowing in the breeze...

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Underpants on the outside and cape blowing in the breeze...

Post by stuart_hedges »

...it's XSARA-MAN!

Am I allowed to have a Xsara blog on here?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Only if you don't duck out of 2012's Citroen Classic Challenge. It's 'Classic' in the broadest sense so a Xsara is eligible! (In fact any Citroen is)....
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

What model Xsara have you got :?:

I drove a 5dr Saloon TD, erm dull was the only thing i could come up with, & it was green which i hate.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

2012 is in the diary!

Following on from the tradition I set myself in the world of BXs, I much prefer the Phase One car but have bought a (far uglier) Phase Two because it was both well-equipped and cheap.

When the decision was firmly made and the money paid, I set myself to remembering how many of the things I've been in, and it's a very large number - second to the BX if we're counting exact cars, and waaaaay ahead if we're counting shared floorpans.

As a passenger:
Great-Auntie Barbara - 1xPug 306
Dad - 2xZX, 1xXsara Estate
Step-Mum - 1xXsara Coupe, 2xPicasso

As a driver
Me - 1xZX
Ex-girlfriend from the Brighton days - 1xXsara Hatch
Sister - 1xZX
Also test-drove a Xsara Hatch that my sister was thinking of buying, but didn't.

Of course, I was talking aloud to myself by this point and my girlfriend chipped in - she used to have a ZX, and counted various 306s and Picassos owned by immediate family members. We got to around 15 between us, and gave up.
mat_fenwick

Re: Underpants on the outside and cape blowing in the breeze

Post by mat_fenwick »

stuart_hedges wrote:Am I allowed to have a Xsara blog on here?
*hovers over the 'delete this thread' button*

I suppose so... ;)

Drove one a few weeks ago and it was decent enough - too modern for my tastes but nothing to dislike about it...apart from perhaps the strange effect of (I assume) the multiplexed wiring - there was a small, but noticeable delay when (say) switching on the headlamps!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Just like Optare Solo's then. Turn the wipers on, and after the rain has ceased they might come on. Hit the horn, and three weeks later it'll peep!

Couldn't care less what you blog about Stu, it's just nice to have you back on the interwebs!

It also means there is STILL no excuse not to come to a CCC event this year and have some ale!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Re: Underpants on the outside and cape blowing in the breeze

Post by stuart_hedges »

mat_fenwick wrote:Drove one a few weeks ago and it was decent enough - too modern for my tastes but nothing to dislike about it...apart from perhaps the strange effect of (I assume) the multiplexed wiring - there was a small, but noticeable delay when (say) switching on the headlamps!
Yeah, I noticed that on the test drive. I think it's called "progress."

The only other modern cars I've driven lately are the MkV Astra courtesy car I had after the big Snoopy accident, and my young lady's 05 Fiesta.

I was quite excited about driving the Astra, as it was an opportunity to see what car designers have been up to for the last 25 years. Apparently, they've been reducing NVH, improving the gadgets and making everything else worse. It had a smaller boot than the BX, worse visibility, worse ride and handling... aircon and an excellent stereo though.

I cut the Fiesta a bit more slack because it's a small, cheap car but again it is a disappointment. It doesn't appear to have any suspension at all, and my word is it slow! It's got some electrical glitches too, which is a bit of a disappointment (especially when you've owned a lot of old French cars and taken a lot of smugness from Ford owners). Nice gearchange though. Oh, and did I mention - it's soooooo sloooooooooooooooooooow!

Mulley, I didn't see your post last night - it's a 1.6 SX 5-door hatch. I really wanted a coupe, but the only ones I could find were completely knackered. The ideal would have been a turbodiesel coupe, but they're uber rare.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Just like Optare Solo's then. Turn the wipers on, and after the rain has ceased they might come on. Hit the horn, and three weeks later it'll peep!
As an electronics engineer I cringe at the crap that's heaped onto us in the name of 'progress' - I think the delays are just plain unacceptable - I really don't think it should be called 'engineering' - particularly when there's a simple solution called a 'wire' :-)

I've been very lucky - for many years I've only owned Granada MK2s and BXs - briefly an Astra left to me by my late father - did everything ok but incredibly boring to drive.

A mate has a 3 year old Volvo which is pretty reasonable but needed a new clutch and flywheel at 57K and a cost of £1700. Recently a passenger in a late Astra - worst suspension I've ever experienced.

BXs are brilliant - no need for this new fangled stuff :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

electrokid wrote:no need for this new fangled stuff :-)
Same with these modern telephones with their new fangled push buttons. Bring back the dial I say! :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote:
electrokid wrote:no need for this new fangled stuff :-)
Same with these modern telephones with their new fangled push buttons. Bring back the dial I say! :wink:
Yes thet were great for smokers, you could have a blast between no.s whilst waiting for the dial to return.

1 x Zara Blog going madly down hill already :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It's here!

No photos because it's hammering down with rain, and it didn't really get light today... I will sort some out soon though.

Say what you like (you old fuddy-duddies) but the gadgets are great as long as they work. I suspect from the trip computer that it's spent most of its time, as the averages it was showing were 35mpg and 26mph. I intend to raise both of those figures, as my commute to work is along a straight dual carriageway with a 60mph limit.

Everything works except the little button that locks the rear windows - and what a pointless button is that anyway!

Can anyone tell me why it's taken such a long time for "automatic climate control" to arrive in cars? I've never lived in a house without a thermostat, but the only cars I've driven with them are mine, and a certain gold CX.

As a drive, it lacks that hydraulic magic but I think it's about as good a compromise as a sprung car will ever get. Comfy enough ride (and really comfy seats!) and pretty tidy handling too.

I hadn't realised quite how tired I'd let the BX get, as it had deteriorated so gradually. It was just so easy driving something younger - no scary clunks, creaks or bangs, it goes and stops in a straight line, the power steering works all the time... great stuff.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My XM has digital automatic climate control. Cool. Literally.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Philip Chidlow wrote:My XM has digital automatic climate control. Cool. Literally.
Ahh, but does it have an electronically controlled centre armrest? The most pointless, but truly inspired bit of equipment out there :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Of course! :lol: As well as the extra rear screen (which although it adds weight is useful in keeping the inside of the car's temperature more constant when the boot's open).

oh, and heated screenwash jets. (again, useful!).

Mind you I hanker after the simple life - guess how many fuses the GS has... three. Or four if it has the continental-fit extra heater. 8)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

That's an 8v engine isn't it Stu? No idea about handling as the one i test drove couldnt exactly be driven with vigour unfortunately. I do fancy a VTS though, or the HDI Vtr model with 110bhp. I can forgive the bland styling on the mk1's & the ugly duckling looks on the mk2's, but there are some pretty grousome colour scheme cloth interiors, remind me of the 80's :lol:

But as long as you're enjoying the car, its cheap to run & is reliable, who cares what anyone says, i'll still talk to you on the forum :lol: & at least i'll know it's you if you come to any of the meets, as you could be the only xsara present :wink: :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.