In a Flap?

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

In a Flap?

Post by Gareth Wales »

There's what looks like a flap at the bottom of the front inside wheelarch - anyone any idea what its for apart from, in my case- trapping an awful lot of rust-harbouring crap ?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

That is there to stop that from happening! It should protect the space behind the front wing, making it a safe haven for spiders, check its all fitting properly, there is usually very little behind there apart from dust (and spiders)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If we are talking about the same thing then it should have a hole in the centre of a recess - a small plastic plug goes through this and into the end of the sill. If this has fallen out, which it seems to do, then water can get behind and won't dry out easily.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

You're right - I'm sure there was once a plastic plug, but the hole in which it once nested is now a rusty cavern. I was scraping out as much rust as possible when DIVINE INTERVENTION (see also Prayer for Today) inside the cavity Ifound eight blanking plugs of different sizes. It was as if the French assembly workers had gone on a sudden tea/cognac break and left everything. :lol: