Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Easy - buy Dollywobbler's estate and put in a turbo engine. If Phil still has my old engine it shouldn't be too difficult, and I can donate a TD radiator...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What can I say except, that sounds like a plan: but I don't think its practical. Apart from having nowhere to work on a car to that degree, Kermit and I have projects backing up now! No, it has to be an off-the-shelf jobby methinks. To be perfectly honest I'd even go the route of hatchback for the right car. Thing is, I still need to find us a good TD Synergie/Ulysse/806 before May, so that has priority.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The BX GTi is looking a little tired. Apart from the temporary back bumper and unstraightened rear, I know rust is going to be the thing to tackle this year. The o/s rear wheel arch is going in the usual places - and the adjacent sill isn't entirely hole-free now I had a poke around. A wire brush and a healthy dose of Kurust and some aluminium tape over the holes and it's going to have to wait until I get get it welded - along with the rear n/s quarter which'll need some work. The paint's seen better days on the bonnet and the lacquer's coming off the tailgate in patches. The hot starting/idling issue will be looked at, but all in all it's a bit down in the mouth at the moment. Maybe giving it a bit of a clean this weekend will get it looking a little happier.

Mind you, still drives well!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I am having a crisis of confidence in the poor old BX. I just went out in it and really - although there's nothing too wrong with it, I can't get enthusiastic at the moment about spending any more on it. I reckon apart from a weekend's welding and some cosmetic stuff, it's going to cost £300 plus to address all the issues and servicing due. And in reality, I feel it might be time to let it go. It still has MOT to Sept 2011 and Tax until the end of the month and yet it's only worth scrap plus a bit for the Speedlines and Kleber tyres - oh and the tailblazer ( :lol: ), headlight protectors, sunroof deflector, full service history, not to mention the Magnecor lead set and K&N filter. But in all honesty, although it's a great BX I might be tempted to pass it on.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Keep the faith! A little voice keeps saying in my head... OK. Up early, give it a clean and patch it up as best I can to keep it from the ravages of what's left of the winter... until a trip to Worthing can be arranged where Kermit awaits with glowing welder.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

After a couple of false starts I decided to go for a 98 2.0 in white and for the money, I can't complain. It's got a few battle scars and needs a cam belt (Friday) and some TLC, but it's a one owner largely well-maintained example.

8 seats too. Which is ideal for the upcoming family/parents/brother holiday in France.

Although, thinking about it I might leave the rear bench at home. I don't want to be the holiday taxi!

Oh, and even the steering wheel stereo controls work. That's a good sign. :lol:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Keep the faith! A little voice keeps saying in my head... OK. Up early, give it a clean and patch it up .
Hold in there Phil, its never let you down so the old girl deserves some TLC.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

More than ever, Tim. We love it, having done a few hundred miles cross country in it recently!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet (although it's going to the garage tomorrow for cambelt and service plus a check up on the ramps), but Saturday it's off to Edwards in Billericay to source a few items... Hopefully the vehicle, plus all cambelted, serviced and a couple of other bits done - all for under £800. That's a lot of metal (and seats) for the money. I HOPE it's reliable.

kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Phil
Looking good for the money.
Should be able to slot a BX TZD engine in there no prob's
Has it got a towbar if so all you then need is a trailer tent and you are going places.
A result me thinks.

Kermit/Phil (genie of the welder)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Would a 2.1 TD from a Xantia fit methinks? :)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Would a 2.1 TD from a Xantia fit methinks? :)
Depends on who's hammers you use, I imagine you could fit most things in it, depends if its front or rear mounted.

Nice Vauxhall copy wheeltrims by the way :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

If I find Synergie ones then obviously they'll go on. As they are they don't look too shocking... so there's no rush. On the otherhand I might hold out for some alloys if we decide it's going to stay with us for more than a year.

I really miss the XM to be honest, but the anticipated work it was going to need would've cost more than I bought the Synergie for... and I really do need something which can carry more than four adults sometimes and maybe furniture/fridge freezers etc... which the old Ulysse we had was brilliant at doing.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Bloody hell. Try to sell a BX on here and get grief :lol: It's enough to make members who want to sell their BX's miss out 'advertising' on here first and go straight to the public. Less hassle!

OK, it's not that bad, but c'mon guys. I buy and sell my cars very regularly and I am never without a deserving BX for long, so gimme a break. :roll: :wink:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

T'is a bit worrying Phil. I've been a BX enthusiast since I was a child, owned one in 1999, another in 2005 and then didn't have one until 2009. If it becomes 'undesirable' to not currently own a BX, that's a sad state of affairs.

It is a bit too easy to get blinkered I think. The BX isn't really even that good by Citroen standards. Don't get me wrong, I really like my BX, but it really does represent the start of things being pared down - from the bland dashboard of the Mk2 to the strut front suspension.

The biggest problem is that it is just a car. I haven't connected with my BX in the way I have with my 2CV. I'm fond of the BX, but I know that there will be a time when I no longer own it. Can't say that about the 2CV.

As for planning which car to use in 2012 though, there's no way I'm planning that far ahead. Don't forget that for the BXagon, I bought the car (sight unseen!) the month before departure. Makes it more fun!