how many left?

Anything about BXs
johnbird
BXpert

how many left?

Post by johnbird »

whats the concensus of how many bx's which are taxed insured and mot'd are left driving on the english highway today? i havent seen another one since i bought mine months ago.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Pretty sure if you use the internal search feature of this website you will find a link and conversation about this very topic.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

i read that but its from several years ago and was only a vague guesstimate. i know some people can access the database for taxed vehicles? its beyond my comfort zone with computers to find it. i was wondering if the number was falling every year or if a plateau of enthusiast owners had been reached. as the crs get older the ones in use as pure transport on a budget will fall by the wayside as economics of bangernomics sees them off and the ones left will i imagine be owned by people who will be prepared to go the extra mile with repairs as they love their car.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
Adrian E
BXpert

Post by Adrian E »

I previously got the data for 16V variants, which showed a marked decline in recent years. The data isn't available online - I got it from work. Every model is allocated a unique identifier, which for the 16V amounts to 2! For the other BX models it would run to literally dozens with all the special editions, mk1/mk2 split. Thought it'd be a bit cheeky of me to try and get them to run off the data for a whole string of models.

Info on 16V's left is here:
http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1982

The trend is generally similar for all cars in terms of proportion left for a given age.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So to extrapolate from what we know of 2007 figures we are talking possibly less than 1,000 BXs, I would guess. I can't say it would surprise me.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

i would think less than a 1,000 would be a reasonable guesstimate. you never seem to see them on the road.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

When I returned to BX ownership after 3 years absence in this foreign land I was asking the same question and feeling a bit BX lonely after not seeing another BX for the first 12 months.

They are around they come out like cluster flies :lol:

Of course my BX will never be lonely now its got a mate to share the garage with. I was hoping they would breed :lol:

Not many people aside from here can understand my passion for the BX less than 2 years after passing my driving test way back in the late 80s a BX has always and will be my car of choice.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

johnbird wrote:i would think less than a 1,000 would be a reasonable guesstimate. you never seem to see them on the road.
I saw four today - all T&T'd, all used - If I had gone a different way home, I'd have seen another two!

Stroud and Gloucester - home of old Citroens!!
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

to what do you attribute this cluster campbell? do bxs have particularly suitable pedal layouts for webbed feet? :lol:
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

A week or so ago i followed a couple of Estates for a short while. Three in a row must be a very scarce occurance.

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I think we may be a long way off no.s leveling out, from some of the rust I have found on my parts car particularly around the rear cross member and around & above the mounting points of the rear suspension arms + the usual front inner wings / rear & front door shuts I believe there will unfortunately be a lot more BX's destined for the scrap yard in the foreseable future.
I am in the lucky position of having the use of a 2 post car lift which makes easy access to my cars but for those who haven't get this luxury there are a lot of hidden rust traps that if not found & tackled will lead to terminal corrosion.
When I removed the bumpers of my parts car I was horrified at the amount of rust behind them and proceeded to remove the bumpers of my TGD Auto to check that out. Luckily this car has been garaged all it's life and escaped these ravages but I was able to give the car a thouro waxoiling to prevent the rust from starting at a later date.
I intend to do the same with my TZD later this year.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Im trying my best to save as many as i can?
Richard.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

We know you are Richard but unless we as owners start getting underneath and doing major rust prevention work there will be a lot more heading your way or to the scrap yard.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

The problem i have is with those 2007 MOT figures, is this, there was a thread on the 2CVGB site, which basically shot out the water the accuracy of all the information, basically proving that virtually double the number of 2CV's were MOT'd than the survey said. Unfortunatly i cannot remember what was wrong exactly.
So i would take all the info with a pinch of salt.

Back in the old days of the 'andyspares' forum Jon the top man over there (who i believe is still involved with FCF??)
could use his info and computer etc etc and come up with how many of each particiular vehicle were left on DVLA's database. I remember him doing it for G series numbers.

I wonder if such a facility still exsists?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"