how many left?

Anything about BXs
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I believe that for a fee DVLA will supply a list of the number of a particular model car registered by postcode - Frome 2CV's used to get this information each year in order to work out where to target their advertising. I certainly remember several years back being shocked when being told that the number of 2CV's on DVLA's records had dropped fron 17,000 to 12,000 in a 12 month period.

I agree that we probably haven't seen the end of BX's being scrapped in large numbers yet. With the values of the cars being so low, it will only be some enthusiasts that will either pay for anything other than minor repairs or be bothered to spend the time carrying out repairs themselves. I say some enthusiasts because I know 2CV & Dyane enthusiasts who have scrapped several cars over the years because it was easier or cheaper to find another car instead of fixing the one they had.

I do think it unlikely that the BX will ever become as rare as the GS & GSA though. This is partly because the parts bin was used more for the production of the BX, making the parts easier to find, and partly because IMHO Citroen failed to produce a worthy successor to the BX, instead offering the choice of either the much more conventional (and uninteresting) ZX, or the technically similar but larger Xantia.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

Since i got mine Ive only seen 2 in lincolnshire. A black f reg and a sliver h reg. But thats it.
PAUL JACKSON
1991 h reg 1.7tzd hatch in black 159.000 miles had
1992 k reg 1.7 txd hatch in red 179. 000 miles had
Renaul laguna exspessin 02 plate 1.8 16v 75 k had
cosa 1.2 brezze 150 k had
406 glx 1.9 td 170k s reg white got
Muiruri
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Muiruri »

You guys are lucky you can see one or two occasionally. I have not seen one on the roads of Nairobi for the last two year.
Sammy Muiruri

1988 BX 19 GTi
1976 GS club
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

I agree with Mike Sims ......

I have been watching BXs in eBay for the last 7 years. I have sub-folders in the Watch List for items I watch to get a feel for the prices (mostly phones and gadgets). I added a BX folder a couple of years ago and shove them into the folder when they come up and leave them in there. [A couple of months after the end of a listed item, eBay clears it from their site, then it disappears from watch lists. I think other people do same as me. One item I sold last year was marked watched, after I had sold it, by about 10 people, for weeks afterwards ]

Since January there have been 19 BXs on eBay, nearly all sold, ranging from scrappers, to the 4x4 which went for £1020 end of January. Point is that this time last year there were hardly any BXs on eBay !!

I also look online at a scrapyard in Derby (Alber Looms). They used to have BX's listed all the time, then from Feb 2009 I did not see one BX listed, until a few months ago when diesels have started to crop up every couple of months (one listed now).

IMO ..... STEEP DECLINE OF THE BX REACHED BOTTOM IN 2009 AND A SLOWER DECLINE IS CONTINUING !!

My experiince with Citroens ..... in the past I have had DS 23. Ami Supers, Dyanes ..... untill I bought my first BX (E reg) in 1988, then an H-reg in 1996 which sprung a big leak in the heater matrix in 2000 which made rust appear in the floor/pillars after a few years so I scrapped it. My present BX is a K-reg which I bought in 2004 and it is still very very viable. I will scrap it when the engine needs a lot of work (not going to take a head off wet liner block) .....I have a Honda Accord 2.4 VTEC which is very nice but even now I am thinking of selling the Honda as the BX is far cheaper and simpler to maintain (e.g. rear brakes on the Accord are mental and parts are expensive).
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I will scrap it when the engine needs a lot of work (not going to take a head off wet liner block)
I wouldn't unless the rest of it was tired. If you didn't want to fix the engine, I'd consider finding a 2nd hand replacement for it if the one in it went bang. Mind you, I've had wet liner engines apart in the past & if you replace any disturbed seals & gaskets and get any machining done by a shop that knows that type of engine they're not to difficult to overhaul. I'd certainly be easier than that VTEC!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Yeah I saw the valve gear on m VTEC when the rocker cover was off when it was being serviced at a Honda dealer ..... my god it was from another planet !!!