CHEAP Yellow H4 headlight bulb caps on ebay.de

Anything about BXs
rayfenwick
1K Away

CHEAP Yellow H4 headlight bulb caps on ebay.de

Post by rayfenwick »

If you are a fan of yellow headlights in your Citroen(s), then look no further than ebay item number: 270725454194.

As written elsewhere, these caps fit over standard white H4 bulbs, and are better than the yellow bulbs because not only do they look more yellow, especially when switched off, but because once you've got a pair, you can simply take the cap off a blown bulb and put it on the new (white) bulb. Much cheaper, and means you won't have to drive round with one yellow and one white bulb until you order more yellows.

Usually these caps are around £16 for 2 with postage, but I just bought EIGHT for €24 with postage - they're €2.50 each, which can't be bad!

I have a set of yellow bulbs in my BX, but these caps look better - hence my order when I found them cheap. :)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm me like, do they ship to the UK (sorry I dont speak german)?

Set for the GT and GS?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Yes, they ship worldwide. Postage to UK is 4 euros - they combined it at checkout.

I bought a set for the CX TRS, a set for the CX Prestige, a set for the BX (in the hope it might cheer it up), and a spare set.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

I'm a confirmed fan of yellow headlights!!

Now, ATTENTION TIM, What kind of headlight bulbs does you GS have? Are they standard ones, or have they been converted to Halogen yet? you can't buy bulbs for this car at an ordinary garage anymore....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Do they reduce the brightness of the bulb though?

Isnt there quite a difference with regard to night driving and trying to see where you are going?

Andy
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Grenman wrote:Do they reduce the brightness of the bulb though?
Any filter reduces the white light output by filtering out other parts of the spectrum. However how much this reduction is perceived is an individual thing, to do with cells of the retina. Some people would be better off not driving with yellow lights, though at that price you could order a set to try, or perhaps just to put in at shows...
Grenman wrote:Isnt there quite a difference with regard to night driving and trying to see where you are going?
Some people prefer it, as there's less dazzle from roadsigns, but some other people's night vision would perhaps be compromised.

It's worth remembering that the system was designed to improve vision by removing shorter, blue wavelengths which are difficult for the human visual system to process properly, as well as causing perceived dazzle effects in rain, fog and snow and problems with glare. (Don't you just love Wikipedia? :) )

It was mandatory in France until 1993, so if it was generally unsafe, they'd have scrapped it a long time before. The reason it was scrapped apparently was because some roadsigns didn't show up too well, and it was cheaper to scrap yellow bulbs than replace lots of roadsigns.

I'm going to give them a go. If I don't like it, I'll go back to white.

Hope this helps
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

smiffy1071 wrote:I'm a confirmed fan of yellow headlights!!

Now, ATTENTION TIM, What kind of headlight bulbs does you GS have? Are they standard ones, or have they been converted to Halogen yet? you can't buy bulbs for this car at an ordinary garage anymore....
Havent got it home yet smiffy, will let you know.
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

I've been using yellow bulbs for 3 years now, and let me tell you they are great!
I do a lot of night driving on unlit country roads, and as you may well know these places are prone for mist and fog. With yellow lights, you are able to use full beam, because the light doesn't bounce back at you like white does. They are superb in the snow too, as I found out while driving in a blizzard last december.

As for normal driving on unlit roads, I haven't found any problem at all seeing where you are going.
I only know of one other driver with yellow lights here in Bristol, and that would be the Doc.

Whenever we pass each other, yellow light is much easier on the eye.

Hope this helps.....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I used yellow bulbs through the winter. They were absolutely awful! Had them in my 2CV and BX and they were so bad that I ended up removing them. They look superb, but when you're really out in the sticks with no street lighting, they're hopeless.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Bought some! thanks, got a5 euros discount for some reason? anyway they cost me about £3 all in!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Dollywobbler wrote:I used yellow bulbs through the winter. They were absolutely awful! Had them in my 2CV and BX and they were so bad that I ended up removing them. They look superb, but when you're really out in the sticks with no street lighting, they're hopeless.
I am afraid i tend to agree with you as i have tried them recently and the light given off by the vehicle is considerably reduced. Remove the covers and its much better. I find its bordering on the dangerous to use them, maybe its just me but i dont really think they are any improvement in night vision at all.

On a brighter set of bulbs, ime sure they would be fine but the standard ones just aint good enough.

Andy
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I just refitted these back into the CX after winter - they make little sense during winter with much more darkness but for the summer season they're fine.

It should be noted that it wholly depends on the condition of your car's lights: I wouldn't like the yellows on the standard set up on the CX but with cleaned up contacts, a relay for dipped and main beam and good condition reflectors they perform very well.

If you're like me and run with lights on all the time including sunshine, they add an extra level of safety for pedestrians and other road users by being different - they 'make you look' as it were.

If anything I'd say the dipped beam is a bit poor on unlit roads but the main beam is fine.

Other negative aspects: flashing your lights as a signal to other drivers is actually often missed for some reason on the yellows. Also, occasionally you get a MONG flashing their mains at you oncoming (usually full beam on) as if to 'let you know' you've got yellow lights.

As an aside - I just fitted higher wattage Bosch bulbs 80/100W. These are not road legal as they're too bright but with the yellow toning it down a bit, it's fine. Still, to be fitted at your own risk!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Voltage at the bulbs has rather a large hand to play in this.
Both my BX's have yellow lights, the valver is epic, no issues seeing where I'm going at all, the TD less so. The TD has 10.2V at the bulbs, the valver has 12.7V.
The difference in light output is alarming. That said, even with plain white bulbs the valver is still better than the TD!
But I wouldn't go back to white lights now, I'll just make the voltage at the bulbs better in the TD.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Actually, thats a damned good idea.

I will consider some brighter bulbs as at present its a struggle with the standard ones.
Dosnt help much with me having had my peepers lazered 7 years ago to cure my short sightedess. Vision still perfect but i get halo's around car headlights. Mind you, hasnt stopped many a midnight trip down to Cornwall.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

[, I'll just make the voltage at the bulbs better in the TD.[/quote]

How do you do this, ime afraid ime no mechanic?
Cleaning all the contacts would help i suppose.

Andy