Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Image
Liking the photo Phil. It reminds me how I (strangely and possibly uniquely) prefer the lines of the estate.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it does look smart. In my view the rear door window tends to look small - almost shrunken when compared to the hatch; it's just an optical thing, and possibly not helped by this estate being almost black. I don't think the BX estate can ever be a thing of beauty from the B pillar back, but I have seen a lot worse!

Aesthetics aside, we're very pleased with the TXD thus far. :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Maybe I just prefer the looks of things that aren't generally considered things of beauty? Although I suppose I suppose the BX in general isn't considered a good looking car!

I certainly admit that when it comes to ladies, I've never been as attracted to the classically beautiful ones. :? I don't know whether that is a subconcious 'damage limitation' strategy (for the ones that were clearly out of my league!) or whether that's just the way my tastes lie...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I would class the BX (hatch) as a nice looking car, especially a white TZi :lol:
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Perhaps I should have clarified that - I suspect the BX wouldn't be considered a good looking car by the general population. Certainly compared with say Aston Martins (of which the modern ones ironically I don't find pleasurable to look at!) and the like.
Personally I do like the looks of the BX (hatch included), but I might be in a minority of one by saying I prefer the looks of the estate! :oops:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think one of the most common observations made about the BX, in company with non BXers is that it looks like a 'kit car' or it's too 'boxy'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, don't forget. There are parts of the BX design that are pure brilliance, others less so. The overall design is good - and it would not have been the huge success it was if it wasn't.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'm not sure if I have a preference between the hatch & estate, but I'd certainly say that the BX Estate is one of the better looking estates from the period.
Philip Chidlow wrote:
Tried Footman James for starters, but because the car's not garaged overnight, no dice. Tim suggested Lancaster. I'll try them...

Eh? That's odd. None of my cars have ever been insured as garaged, only private driveway. Maybe it's a postcode thing. Where I am at the moment is the lowest category apparently!
Some insurance companies have different ideas about things - Adrian Flux will not insure a car that's kept in a garage that isn't part of your house, but will insure it if it's left on the road in front of your house :roll:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's official! The TXD estate is the most fuel efficient car I've ever owned: After mixed driving, plus a blat up and down the A12, some hurried cross-country... 50.2 mpg. Happy with that.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

See - I love the n/a 19. Of all the models I've driven/owned the 19D is best all round :P I would gladly have another, and yours is loverly :)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You cant grumble at that!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

mat_fenwick wrote:Maybe I just prefer the looks of things that aren't generally considered things of beauty? Although I suppose I suppose the BX in general isn't considered a good looking car!

I certainly admit that when it comes to ladies, I've never been as attracted to the classically beautiful ones. :? I don't know whether that is a subconcious 'damage limitation' strategy (for the ones that were clearly out of my league!) or whether that's just the way my tastes lie...
That's always been my problem - I only like the pretty ones - and I'm pug-ugly :))
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Talking of pretty ones..

I would. Would you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0659176351
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

definitely :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I keep thinking that the 2cv is prime for electric conversion - if someone hasn't already done it. That one is just so wonderful, but imagine the pain the first time someone runs a supermarket trolley into it.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Like the pain I felt when I managed to put a crease in the XM's drivers side rear door squeezing through a gap in Turin. I wish I'd slowed, reversed and adjusted - anything but that. Being self-inflicted just made it worse :(
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk