Anything about BXs
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

citronut wrote:heater matrix is easy peasy again compaired to a XANT,

regards malcolm
I'm not much of a mechanic but one thing I do know is; if the heater matrix blows on your Xantia you are in DEEP s**t!! titanic
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

same with a Renault Megane from what I saw .... complete removal of the dash I think !!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

You cant knock the GS they are equally as nice to work on. i used to get a bad back working on them but know i just lay in the bay. and fall asleep
When I made the mistake of fitting a cheap set of points I got quite good at whipping the dizzy off on the roadside to reset the gap. The absolute worst so far has to be the front pipes - the front end isn't too bad once you drop the undertray, the the rear end was a nightmare. I remember starting the do up the rh clamp onto the Y pipe and listening to the 2pm news - before I finished I'd heard the 3pm news. Next time I'll probably pull the engine as it may be easier!

On the other hand, the local tyre place found the G easier to do the tracking on than the BX - they needed to turn the steering nearly to full lock to adjust the tracking on the BX!
same with a Renault Megane from what I saw .... complete removal of the dash I think !!!
A friend had one of those Megane's with the vertical back window. when a headlamp blew they couldn't work out how to change the bulb so took it to the dealer. They recommended that all the bulbs were changed at the same time as the labour charge was well over £100 as getting at the back of the headlight involved removing most of the front of the car :shock:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

yeah the Y pipe on the GS looked difficult to get at, never had to myself, but I had an Ami Super for several years and that had a mid-box with 2 pipes intead of the Y pipe, and it was a hell of a job to get it right because the exit pipe curved over and round the inner wing, so there were 3 pipes that had to line up with their mates, and the mid-box was never the same each time. That mid-box was the typical idea of some crazy French Engineer.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I found changing a wheel an absolute nightmare - locked the wheels because the bolts were too long, nearly fell off the jack in the process and that was just the front wheel. I found that once I'd got the bolts off of the rear one off it was trapped between the curb and the rear wing.... got it out with force then couldn't put it back on... that was a bad day ;)
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

scarecrow wrote:I found changing a wheel an absolute nightmare - locked the wheels because the bolts were too long, nearly fell off the jack in the process and that was just the front wheel. I found that once I'd got the bolts off of the rear one off it was trapped between the curb and the rear wing.... got it out with force then couldn't put it back on... that was a bad day ;)
Move away from the toolbox - I repeat, move AWAY from the toolbox before someone gets hurt.... :shock:
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Haha - I have done clutches in 2cvs before - engine out and all that. The first time it caught on fire a bit, but someone more advanced patched the loom up and wayhay. The second time I actually put a new engine in, but I did forget to do the mounting bolts up properly. I got distracted by some gurkas once changing a wheel on a pickup, which then fell off on the way to work in the morning (loose nuts) - and was replaced by self-same laughing gurkas without any need for silly old jacks either. As I said at the time, it was karma ;) I like driving though and I'm fairly good at that, I just wish I was blonde and with shapely legs then I'd have something to pay my good Samaritans back with ;)

It's back - my sense of humour is back!! Must be the sunshine.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

I wonder if there's a guiness book of records for changing a wheel on a car, by keeping the wheel brace stationary and turning the car
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

scarecrow wrote:Haha - I have done clutches in 2cvs before - engine out and all that. The first time it caught on fire a bit,
:D :D :D

2CVs are great because you can change the engine by yourself, without a jack or anything - I can remember the days when you could buy exchange 2CV motors from the local supermarket in France, with blue plastic handles so you could lump them into the trolley!
Best time for changing an engine when we were doing the 24hr 2CV racing was something like 12 minutes - and no trace of flames anywhere. Although once the car came into the pits after someone had over-revved it and bent the valves, and when we opened the bonnet and revved it up it backfired and the air filter exploded spectacularly and caught fire big time...
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

yes I can confirm that it is posible to change a clutch on a Dyane on your own i.e. undo the engine mounts and connetions, jack up under the front of the gearbox, undo the bolts, and pull the engine out onto the floor. Putting it back is slightly more difficult due to lining up the splines, but I did do it. Took me a couple of days on my own thogh. Working on a Dyane was a dream, the BX is possibly next best but I haven't had to do the clutch on a BX yet, and not really loking forward to it.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

scarecrow
you have to be very carefull what you wish for :twisted:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well if it happens, I'll take it on the chin - like a man! :oops: