will a zx 1.9td fit into a bx tdz??

BX Tech talk
talbotsteve
Confirmed BX'er

will a zx 1.9td fit into a bx tdz??

Post by talbotsteve »

i have a very low mileage zx turbo diesel engine which i kept from my old zx, and have been wondering wether it will fit in my bx estate 1.7tzd, has any one tried this and is it an easy swap??
cheers steve
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have a 405 engine in mine, if you look at members cars theres some info to help ,its pretty straightforward really.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Whay I can tell you is that the ZX alternator is much bigger and won't fit directly into the BX.

I think what you should do is to fit BX ancillaries to your Zx engine so far as is possible - ie put the pulley for the LHM pump on it and use a BX pump, and make the alternator and drive from the BX go on as well. From our Zx 1.9D I would have said that the injection pump may be mounted slightly higher on the ZX engine and this may allow the ZX alternator to be used.

I think some very careful measuring and observation will save some problems. I would have thought the critical bit was the space behind the (very thick TD BX) radiator especially around the alternator.

Should be a good conversion with much more power low down. I find the ZX 1.9D has much more power low down than the BX TD - which is noticeable on very steep hills with hairpin bends!

jeremy
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I used all of the alternator bracketry from the BX motor though the ZX alternator will fit, you will need a slightly longer flat belt if you retain the ZX bottom pulley too, depending on type of donor engine you will need to modify the end of the cam to accept the HP pump pulley, probably easier to swap the cams,or get an engineering place to drill and tap the end of the cam to accept an M10 bolt (I think it was M10) and get the BX pulley bored out to suit, there is an oil return hole on the end of the head which needs blanking off too, mine was threaded so i blocked it with part of a bolt.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft