White smoke from donor engine

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

White smoke from donor engine

Post by adamskibx »

I am now starting to remove my engines from my two BX's. The good engine seems to smoke a little (white smoke). Thing is, when I first start it after a long period, there is no smoke, and as soon as its warmed up a little at idle, there is white smoke. Could this be water in the exhaust system due to the damp conditions at present? Thats what im hoping it is anyway as I dont want my efforts to be in vein. Obviously it will need a full tune up when it goes in the GT as its been sat around for so long not going anywhere. Im thinking, new air filter, plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm, oil, filter, and then ignition timing etc will hopefully sort it all out. Also, does anyone know if a 1990 1.9 carb BX is adjusted for unleaded fuel or not? Cheers, Adam
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The white smoke is probably only the moisture. This will be present for quite a while is the car has been stood. If you intend keeping the motor, an oil and filter change ASAP is a good idea.

Take it for a run and it should clear up.

Blue smoke is burning oil.

Mike
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Adam,

White smoke can also be unburnt diesel vapour...

If you feel up to it, have a little sniff of the smoke, with a good nose you can detect the difference between water vapour and unburnt diesel...

Cheers
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Brian wrote:White smoke can also be unburnt diesel vapour...
Adamski is working with petrol engines.... :wink:

The only time I've ever had true white smoke (rather than just water vapour) in a petrol engine's exhaust was when I dropped an exhaust valve guide many years ago, and oil was vapourising in the exhaust pipe, but not burning.

It may be that you're just clearing oil from where the engine has been standing for a while. it may also be that you have crusty valve stem oil seals. I'd run the car for a while, making sure it gets some good runs, right up to temperature, and see if it has any effect.
this might be a signature
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

WHOOOPS.....

Must remember to read the thread in more detail before posting a reply...

But water injection has been known to be beneficial !!!...

Cheers
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers for the ideas guys. Yeah it looks to be white smoke but I always find it very hard to see what colour smoke is. Hopefully its water as it has been stood etc. I looked at the log book for the car the other day and it looks as though the guy that had it before the guy I got it off had replaced the valve stem oil seals and the cambelt himself at 80,000 but obviously you never know when people write things out like that. Its usually a good sign though. Im starting the engine change on Thursday and am going to start by removing the GT's engine, and take the donor engine from the TRS afterwards, ready for swaping over bits and replacing oil seals etc.