WANTED Semi urgent, driveshaft

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

WANTED Semi urgent, driveshaft

Post by Vanny »

been on a long weekend of driving towing and paddling, and my dodgy CV on the driveshaft has finally packed in. Its gone from clunking on right hand full lock to clunking on even a small turn and really doesnt like going over 50.

I'll entertain other suggestions but the car was driven for quite some distance after the two retaining bolts in the bottom engine mount werent done up and the bugger slapped about all over the place, not good!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I have for disposal a complete offside ABS turbo diesel driveshaft.
Now before you get all excited, the intermediate bearing is stuffed. I don't know if these can be got off, but the rest of it is OK.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I heve replaced the bearing, from memory it cost £4 but there is a collar that must be ground off before the old bearing can be removed, after tapping the new bearing into place I did not have a new collar so I used a chisel and raised a few dings on the shaft to prevent the bearing from moving, so far its done about 15000 miles without a problem.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

:idea: never thought of grinding the collar off. Anyway Vanny, it's there if you want it.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I have driveshafts for both sides off a BX 16v if its of any use.
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`m sure I`ll have one somewhere Vanny.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The collar and bearing will come off the driveshaft fairly easily just with carefully placed hammer-and-punch blows. Changed 3 or 4 of these, and never had to damage the collar.

The alternative is to clamp two pieces of steel at right-angles to the driveshaft, to bear on the outer race of the bearing. You then mount this in a large vice, and hit the driveshaft through the bearing (with a heavy hammer, and some wood protecting the end of the shaft)

Refitting is a doddle, as all you need is a piece of tube that just goes over the driveshaft, to bear on the collar and inner race of the bearing.

Just noticed though... surely if the vehicle is clanking on R/H lock, then it's the L/H CV joint that's knackered.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

dont know as im not all to afay with dead CV's but its deffinately clonking on RH lock and from the long drive shaft, and thats the one that got buggered. I thought i had a spare but it's vanished (only have a long na diesel one). To be honest this isnt the shaft that came off the car and i have no idea of its age so combined with the abuse its taken im in no way surprised that its a little mullered! Aim is to change the engine mount as well as i have a spare mount a bush sitting about and it rattles on idle which is going to get annoying (and isn't anything to do with the cv).

My biggest problem i think is going to be having killed my left knee over the weekend, will make the job a little bit trickier!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

How do you damage your knee canoeing? I used to paddle mine with my arms :wink:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

anyone who's seen the dee as it passess under the bridge in Llangollen knows that town falls can be a bit of a but slapping biatch, you need you knees, feet, hips, arms, preety much everything you can to get down there (for those who dont know you wedge your knees under the inside of the boat to keep you in and control the boat).

Actually its a drinking related accident (Liverpool Beer Festival) following the carrying home of a very pissed friend who decided it was more fun to tackle me to the ground! Then a couple of laps of the A5 and A55 towing a big mean trailer took its toll :(

Not just the car which came home poorly!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

I know that bit of the river well, I have swum down it myself (started out in an inflatable boat!) a drinking injury??? well why didnt you say, you could have had instant sympathy :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few