police check

Anything about BXs
rodney68
Confirmed BX'er

police check

Post by rodney68 »

stopped by the plod last night on way to work,reason we stopped you sir says lady plod your car is making a strange noise,i replied it's a citroen they all do that,this must of upset her because she then said my c1 doesn't so must be something wrong with it,tried to explain that is hydraulics working but she having none of it and radioed the local nick to find out if anyone there had seen (strange citroen) before, no one had so male plod phoned recovery firm they use to pick up impounded motors luckily they were on the ball and explained everything to plod that it was perfectly normal for a bx to make strange noises,when they let me on my way both plod said they had never seen a bx or cx before in their lives! :shock:
k reg citroen bx1.7tgd,vauxhall astra 1.6 16v,kawasaki er5 ratbike
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Very weird. They make some different noises, but surely not loud enough for anyone to really hear? They were of course looking out for your safety, so you should be grateful! :D
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

If they're not qualified to make an assessment of roadworthiness, tell them to find someone from traffic, or send you on your way! I've only so far been car quizzed by older generation coppers who are typically nice as pie. But i've had several run in's (non car related, except for the one that ran me over) with kid coppers, and they simply shouldn't be allowed out without a minder!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Too true Vanny! :D
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

maybe you should have told them it is a Marsian as it has green blood,

or is it them who are green, i know they are called the boys in blue, but perhaps blue is the new green :shock:

so exacltly what noise is/did you Marsian make

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Since when did a car making a noise become an issue for not being allowed to proceed? Old Fords and Vauxhalls etc regularly used to make tappety noises in the days before OHC which may be offensive to the younger ear but was no reason not to proceed with a journey.

If the car:
1) meets construction & use regs
2) has nothing loose or liable to drop off

then I cannot see on what grounds they could forcibly put the car on that recovery truck.

What grounds were they citing beyond this "noise"? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Without being uncharitable, sounds like a bit of 'urban myth' planting.... :wink:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
rodney68
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rodney68 »

woman plod said she could hear whooshing noise,i could only hear the usual citroen hydraulic noises when it was ticking over,maybe they liked the look of the beast
k reg citroen bx1.7tgd,vauxhall astra 1.6 16v,kawasaki er5 ratbike
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

There you have it - 'Police are for the Fascist!' . . . everybody riot! :D
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Er, were you stationary when plod heard your car or was it actually moving at speed? If it was at speed how the hell can they hear anything if they were driving as well, sounds like a bullshit way of checking if you had roadtax, mot & insurance imho. If your car is a diesel it might be perceived to be quite loud, but unless you had a blowing exhaust the mind boggles as to why you were stopped!!!
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Both me and my brother have been pulled by coppers who weren't fully versed in the law regarding older vehicles. I was once breathalised for driving too slowly in an H van, and they once tried to book me for only having a demister on the left hand side of the screen of my AZU because tthe vision in front of the driver was impeded, despite it being left hand drive. They pulled my brother over in his VW split screen camper for showing a red rear turn signal, which he had to explain was legal for a van as early as his. We've also both been pulled over because they wanted to know what the car was. Havent been pulled because of the sound a car made yet, though.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

it does sound very strange
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

So the police in Norfolk are so under employed that they are now looking out for cars that make inappropriate mechanical noises based on a purely personel subjective assessment.

I lived in Norfolk for some time and I cannot remember my life being blighted by Citroens making inappropriate noises.

It seems, however, that dealing with people whose cars make noises that are likely to offend is a much higher priority than making an effort to find the the individuals who decided that our house had ineffective ventilation so threw a lump of flint through the window.

It is such a bizzare story. It reminds me of the 'Not the Nine o'clock news sketch where a black individual was being victimised by a young copper and was arrested for crimes like 'wearing a loud shirt in a built up area', walking on the cracks on the pavement, being in possession of an offensive wife etc.

Good luck Rodney I hope the Anti-Citroen Nazis leave you alone.

Cheers

Dicky
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I had this odd experiance with the Police here in NZ yesterday!

Out of my district just driving along saw cop car coming the other way so natural reaction was check the speed and since the GPS had not indictaed the tone over 100kph was happy.
About a minute later same cop car flying up behind nme with lights going so just said to the missus "looks like they got a call better not be an MVC (Crash) ahead." So I saw a gap at the side the road to dive in safely let them pass.......erm no they came in behind me :shock:
Out gets this Wpc ask me how my days was going walks round car checks the rego (car tax) comes back as where was off to, meanwhile the dogs barking away in the back. Comment of nice puppy (the dogs six years old). So got asked to speak into the breathlyser checker which naturally passed. Before I had a chance to ask why I had been stopped she said have a safe journey and was out of earshot :shock: :lol:

WTF was that about? Wife said probably realised on seeing the Number Plate surrounds, stickers and pager on the dashboard and gear on the back seat that she probablty realised this chump was not going to be worth harrasing :lol:

Mate said to me probably got stopped for driving a Citroen :lol:

Random stop check never had one of those done before, normally you run into check points but rare to just be stopped without reason and I will never know that reason. Especially as it was outside my normal area. :cry:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It does amaze me, I do have some respect for the bobby on the beat, although I agree its as much about raising money for the treasury, lets face it though how many Constables have any idea about cars? especially the WPC? A freind of mine was one once, she didnt even know how to open the bonnet on her 107 yet was given a Panda car to hair round in. :roll:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....