police check

Anything about BXs
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

it all brings back memories of when I was stopped in Nottingham 25 years ago by a police car. I was in an Ami 8, they said they had been "chasing" me through Nottingham city centre for about 2 miles, because they saw me going round a corner "very fast". They basd "very fast" on the fact that they saw the car leaning over a lot going round the corner when they were coming the other way.

They had to drive quickly round the one-way-system to get back in the direction I was going. They insisted on breathalysing me because "only a drunk person would lean a car that much going round a corner". After the breathalyser was negative, I told them that an Ami 8 was the same as a 2CV, to which they said that a 2CV would not be able to get so far ahead of them for them to take 2 miles to catch me up. Great intelligence.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

It's obvious - the WPC came over all weak at the knees at the sight of a proper car that she tried to engage you in spurious conversation. The "Whooshing" noise she could hear was actually her own blood, as her heart rate increase, blood pressure went up, capillaries dilated.....I think I'll stop there.

I was driving the ZX back from Norfolk after buying it when I got stopped by the police. I'd mistakenly switched on the rear fogs when trying to switch on the rear wiper, the buttons occupy the same space on the BX and ZX. They were ok, but they did make me laugh when they indicated Steve Scarecrow who'd pulled in behind, and asked "Is this lady with you sir?"
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Rodney,

You were very lucky the said police constable did not ask to look under the bonnet.

Is has been known, for the suspension spheres to be mistaken for unexploded bombs.

How would you have talked your way out of that?...
ren16tx
This weeks BX legend
This weeks BX legend

Post by ren16tx »

I got pulled over one cold dark morning on the way to work in my 1963 Ami 6 saloon,policeman said your back light is out,but i only realy stopped you so i could look at the car, what is it??? never seen one before!!
Another time, the Ami conked out (fuel blockage) police car pulled up behind me,and tried to speak to me in French!!!!! (car had uk plates!) chris
GSA X1,GSA estate, GSA PALLAS C-matic,Simca 1100,Renault 16TX auto, yellow Visa super E, wanted mk1 bx!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

had that with my 1600e cortina once, I had just run in the rebuilt engine ( 1760 stage 3 twin 40's and a janspeed ), came off a roundabout and floored it,

about a mile up the road I could hear a ringing and a transit van full of cops were waving me over , I shat myself as I had been doing quite a speed .

sergeant was first one out and with a broad smile said
" fook me thats fast, pop the bonnet so I can have a look , Ive got one of these at home "
nearly pee'd meself with relief :D
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Roverman wrote:...........he didnt even know how to open the bonnet on her 107 yet was given a Panda car to hair round in. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Linegeist wrote:
Roverman wrote:...........he didnt even know how to open the bonnet on her 107 yet was given a Panda car to hair round in. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well you know what I mean ...... :D
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

police car pulled up behind me,and tried to speak to me in French!!!!!
Wow - a talking car :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Naturellement - les cavalier de chevalier :D
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Ou une patrole du porc? :lol:
4-eyed-space-cadet

nosey polis

Post by 4-eyed-space-cadet »

I got pulled the other night. "Just a routine check, sir" then "It looked to us as if the car was sagging to one side, sir, mind if I have a look?" So I had to demonstrate a full set of Citroen aerobics which proved that while it might be scruffy and a bit creaky, it goes up and down perfectly OK and both sides at the same time. Plod then had a squint at the tyres and the tax-disc (all less than 2 months old) and scratched his stubbly bullet-head "Dunno, it looked lopsided to me back there"
"Nothing lopsided about it, pal, can I be off now"
"Aye, I suppose so"

Just overpaid, bored polis looking to try and do someone in an old motor......
supreme grooviness be upon you

4-eyed space cadet
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I'm sure it is the result of some unpublicised "let's stop more old/tatty cars and see if we can get them off the roads, or do them for no tax/MOT/insurance/not roadworthy etc." campaign.

Whilst being no defender of the police for a great many reasons, I know they get a fair bit of pressure from "those above" to do things that they know are stupid, just as the rest of us do. In their case, it's politicians doing all the pressing, and for that they have my sympathy.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

I got stopped in the Meteor just before Christmas - a random breath test - passed obviously as I don't drink any more than a unit at a time and it was 10am!
However, the young plod started checking the car out - copmmented about the clicking and venting from the suspension - said it wasn't 'normal'. I explained about the suspension - he poo pooed me because his mate had a C5 and it didn't do that :roll:

Next he looks under the bonnet because he's 'worried about the noise' at this point an older plod comes over and asks what the problem is - young plod explains - old plod laughs and puts him right but also points out to him that any older car on the road with car club stickers on it no matter how scruffy it looks, is probably in pretty decent mechanical nick and what he should really be looking out for are 2000 Focuses with bald tyres.

Had a similar experience in Kwik Fit 2 years ago when a tyre fitter suggested I needed new shocks - on an XM....confirming that Kwik Fit try and sell everyone new shocks whether or not your car was designed with them or not - I did have some fun asking him to show me what he meant and see him flouder around pointing at the sphere 'shocks' before his manager rescued him. To be fair to the lad he was probably only obeying orders and had never seen an XM up close before.

Other plod stops in old cars - 1954 Morris Minor - you didn't indicate and there is somthing flapping abouit from the side of your car....."it's called a trafficator officer"....why are you taking a pillion rider on a 50cc scooter when you don't have a motorcycle licence? ..."because the law says I can officer".... the exhaust of your 1975 Leyland Sherpa is blowing badly...."that's the noise they all make sonny if you'd been in the force as long as I have you would know that" - reply from an older colleague...

the best has to have been by a French Gendarme - I was with the family in a 1996 Volvo 940 Estate coming back from the south of France - got to Calais and have just passed French passport control and about to go into UK passport control when Le Plod pulls me over - your car is overloaded Msr..er what do you mean? It is an offence not to be able to see out of the rear window.....really, first I have heard of it - are you sure?...ouis.....anyway, British plod saunters over and asks what the problem is - French plod explains - British plod points out that despite physically being in France the tarmac I was sitting on was technically part of Britain and I had formally 'left' France and he didn't think it was over loaded and anyway, Le Plod was wrong - there is no law against niot being able to see through the back window of a car in France...Le Plod stomps off - British Plod explains that the chap is some sort of French special and has been in a very bad mood since he missed a transit full of Moroccans last week.
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

scooters wrote:I got stopped in the Meteor just before Christmas - a random breath test - passed obviously as I don't drink any more than a unit at a time and it was 10am!
However, the young plod started checking the car out - copmmented about the clicking and venting from the suspension - said it wasn't 'normal'. I explained about the suspension - he poo pooed me because his mate had a C5 and it didn't do that :roll:

Next he looks under the bonnet because he's 'worried about the noise' at this point an older plod comes over and asks what the problem is - young plod explains - old plod laughs and puts him right but also points out to him that any older car on the road with car club stickers on it no matter how scruffy it looks, is probably in pretty decent mechanical nick and what he should really be looking out for are 2000 Focuses with bald tyres.

Had a similar experience in Kwik Fit 2 years ago when a tyre fitter suggested I needed new shocks - on an XM....confirming that Kwik Fit try and sell everyone new shocks whether or not your car was designed with them or not - I did have some fun asking him to show me what he meant and see him flouder around pointing at the sphere 'shocks' before his manager rescued him. To be fair to the lad he was probably only obeying orders and had never seen an XM up close before.

Other plod stops in old cars - 1954 Morris Minor - you didn't indicate and there is somthing flapping abouit from the side of your car....."it's called a trafficator officer"....why are you taking a pillion rider on a 50cc scooter when you don't have a motorcycle licence? ..."because the law says I can officer".... the exhaust of your 1975 Leyland Sherpa is blowing badly...."that's the noise they all make sonny if you'd been in the force as long as I have you would know that" - reply from an older colleague...

the best has to have been by a French Gendarme - I was with the family in a 1996 Volvo 940 Estate coming back from the south of France - got to Calais and have just passed French passport control and about to go into UK passport control when Le Plod pulls me over - your car is overloaded Msr..er what do you mean? It is an offence not to be able to see out of the rear window.....really, first I have heard of it - are you sure?...ouis.....anyway, British plod saunters over and asks what the problem is - French plod explains - British plod points out that despite physically being in France the tarmac I was sitting on was technically part of Britain and I had formally 'left' France and he didn't think it was over loaded and anyway, Le Plod was wrong - there is no law against niot being able to see through the back window of a car in France...Le Plod stomps off - British Plod explains that the chap is some sort of French special and has been in a very bad mood since he missed a transit full of Moroccans last week.
:lol:

As far as the OP's thread goes, that almost sounds unbelievable to me. I'd actually tell them to book me or let me go!

I've been stopped in the 16v a few times, mainly for driving like a nob head, but once in Southampton I was stopped for a "random check" at about 11pm. Back then I was a bit of a tart and had faux-French plates (like the German ones all the VW fanboys have) on the frequently polished BX. Copper approached me and asked "French car is it?" I couldn't resist the urge, it was too strong. I replied "yeah, it's a Citroen."

These days it's usually pink and mud-spattered. And unlike those days, random parts of it now don't work like rear no. plate lamps. And I've never been stopped in it since :lol: I'll have to get it all looking pretty again and see what happens.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Police Check.

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear All.
I know this for a fact, that when I lived in Lincoln for about 35 years.
The police SNOOKER :shock: Stop a RED car, after that they are then
looking for a COLOUR, yellow, green etc etc.
I had a white SAAB for 6 years and never stopped once :!: I then
had a green SAAB, I got stopped more times than I had hot dinners,
the works :!: They stopped me once in my green SAAB 99 because
one of my rear sidelights wasn,t working. I got out of the car and went
to the back of the car and sure enough one wasn,t working. I then
said to him BUT THE OTHER THREE ARE STILL WORKING AREN,T THEY,
on the 99, s on the clusters they have 2 no.plate lamps, 2 fog lamps,
2 stop lamps, 2 indicators, AND FOUR SIDELIGHTS :roll: day running
lights. :lol: Anyway I thumped it and it came back on again anyway.
That,s why I have never had a black car or will have.
Another time I was in Shari,s motabilty police blue Zafira stopped
at a T juction waiting to join the traffic cueing up at the roadworks
over a bridge, when a car had come from the main road, infront of
me and then behind me, and the pulled up right next to me very very
closely. I waited for a gap in the traffic, I set of about a foot when
all of a sudden BANG :shock: This pissed up taxi driver had gone
before me took the front completely off the Zafira, so I got out of the
wrecked car in the middle of the road to ask him to stop :!: He shot
off like a bullet through the roadworks on a red light :shock:
Someone managed to get the reg no, which was very nice of them,
so I went one mile to the part time police station, luckily pc was there,
I thought great :) going to catch him I thought :wink: what do they
do :?: they breathalise me :o I am T total and always have been.
Despite witness by the dozen and the reg no they never caught the
guy. I did see the same car stopped a short time after, so I pulled in
front of it and had a word with the driver but he said that guy didn,t
work for them anymore :x
Vince.
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,