Door Warning Signal

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Door Warning Signal

Post by Gareth Wales »

The (driver's) door warning light is operating very spasmodically.
As this is the door most often used, has something worn out ? What should I be looking for and where?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I think its driven by the courtesy light switch, these can get dirty contacts, are the interior lights working normally?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I take it you mean the tell-tale light on the dashboard?

Chances are it's a broken wire in the door harness or the switch itself which is located within the actual door lock. Don't think you can get at it in situ.

If it's a broken wire you need to get the door card off and trace the wires back from the door lock to where they disappear into the rubber boot that connects to the door pillar. If you pull on one at a time you should find the broken one.

If one is broken, find another wire with a bit spare length to use as a draw wire. Tie some new wires to this and pull them through into the car where joints can be made, remember to pull an extra wire in, as you'll need it to pull the original one you cut into back in to the door. Then rejoin.

Hope this makes sense. What I'm trying to say is use the existing wires as draw wires to pull the replacements for the damaged ones in.

If you try threading them through the rubber boot between the door and car, you'll soon get really brassed off and wished you'd bought a Ford. Well maybe not that brassed off. :lol:
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Yes, the courtesy lights work fine - they're activated by the button switch in the forward hinge. The door warning light seems to be connected to the interiour locking/opening handle. Puzzling.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Like I said, it's located within the door lock.

The difference between a standard BX door lock and a top spec tzd etc is, the top spec one has a micro switch built in and all you can se is two wires with a plug on that comes out of the lock.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Actually, Ken, I mean the diagramatic plan of the car, next to the loose change box. But I'm sure the wiring you describe will be similar. I'll crfack it tomorrow, Many thanks.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Diagramatic of the car, known to me as map of the car,

Yup thats the one. all you could try without taking the door lock out would be put plenty of WD in the door locking mechanism, cant remember wether the switch is top or bottom side of the mechanism.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I seem to remember having a problem with the one on my BX 19TRS about 10 years ago which turned out to be a loose wire where the wires connect to the back of the little warning panel itself. It might be worth prizing the little panel out and having a look.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

A generous squirt of WD40 (the freezing snowyweather option) has worked in that the light goes on when the doors just off-the-catch. but goes off when the door is fully opened So Ken, you were right - I just wonder whether what WD40ing is doing?