Just the ticket

Anything about BXs
ken newbold
Over 2k

Just the ticket

Post by ken newbold »

Been for MOT this morning, 12 month ticket and back home by 8.20 :D The tester was showing me some of the ins and outs of the current MOT and some of the changes due later.

Brake discs are now very hard to fail, as indeed are brake pipes, if they pass the rolling road test apparently they're good enough :shock:

Anti-roll bar links now have about a 20 point fail possibility which is remarkable when they do so little.

Same with exhausts, the term adequately supported is what is says on the screen which is open to interpretation and the only real fail is major leak

He wasn't aware of the talked about changes regarding tyre age. We had a look through the new guidelines booklet and didn't see anything in there.
Also in there was the part about testing towbar electrics which comes into force later this year, or next.

The tester told me it's as if VOSA want them to pass almost everything.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, they passed mine :D
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Congrats! \:D/
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well done Ken, my 19TZI is in for MOT today and new front discs and pads, lets hope she does ok.!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Good luck Tim!

Out here, almost anything passes as long as it arrives and departs under its own steam. One of the benefits of living in a rural economy I suppose.

But take a perfectly reasonable car into a MOT centre in, say, Reading - and you're more than likely to get a long list of nitpicking jobs on a VT30 from a spotty youth eager to create a jobcard.

I managed this when I was down there working on the parent's house last year and made the mistake of trying to combine several jobs in one trip. The same car (The 4-year-old Bora) passed with no advisories up here a month later at a local (trusted) station. Coincidence?

I can never understand the UK system where the garages have a vested interest in failing the cars they test. :?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Where I work they are not TOO bad, it depends on the tester and what kind of mood hes in!

Normally when a Citroen comes on the ramp they all start to BOO! :roll: but my friendly mechanic takes it on himself to do the test for me and is sympathetic and wont fail it small items (headlamp aim/bulb out etc) but just tell me to get them done.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Well done Ken \:D/

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Just the ticket

Post by Defender110 »

ken newbold wrote: as indeed are brake pipes, if they pass the rolling road test apparently they're good enough :shock:
I'm very suprised by this bit in particular, to keep passing badly corroded brake pipes until they give up under pressure seams a tad dangerous to me :? :?:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That does seem strange, as this is still in the manual:
Reason for Rejection

1. A rigid brake pipe inadequately clipped or otherwise supported.
2. A rigid brake pipe:
a.fouled by moving parts
b.kinked
c.excessively chafed, corroded or damaged.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

they are also going to be able to fail inner drive shaft gaitors and all swivle joint boots if split,

tow bar fixing have been in for a while now,

when are they going to be able to fail bad drivers (the nut behind the wheel ) on the MOT

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Out here, almost anything passes as long as it arrives and departs under its own steam. One of the benefits of living in a rural economy I suppose.

But take a perfectly reasonable car into a MOT centre in, say, Reading - and you're more than likely to get a long list of nitpicking jobs on a VT30 from a spotty youth eager to create a jobcard.

I managed this when I was down there working on the parent's house last year and made the mistake of trying to combine several jobs in one trip. The same car (The 4-year-old Bora) passed with no advisories up here a month later at a local (trusted) station. Coincidence?
It may be a garage looking for work, or it could simply be down to interpretation. I use a couple of different places here for MOT's, depending on the condition of the vehicle. While I trust both garages (they both know me and that if they failed anything they wouldn't get the work) one is very hot on bodywork, while the other will fail any wear whatsoever in mechanical parts.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!