Water Leak

BX Tech talk
H Reg Pete
Confirmed BX'er

Water Leak

Post by H Reg Pete »

Hi Guys, Just had a look for the water leak and as far as I can see its one of the smaller hoses that goes to where the oil filter fits, its the hose thats nearest to the back of the alternator and is split at the joint, the only problems I can see are, there is a cable that attaches to this joint and also its impossible to get your hand down to undo the jubilee clip as theres not enough room, the jubilee clip has been put on with the doing up bit between the hose and the engine block. has anyone got any ideas how i can get this off without having to remove the radiator and the alternator. this would be such a simple job if only you could get at it,
regards
Peter
H Reg BX TZD Turbo
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have quarter inch drive tiny sockets/ratchets/extensions to get into tight spots, also a flexi screwdriver thing with a built in 7mm socket specifically made for jubilee clips. It is tight down there though, if you have a spare hose why not cut the clip with a dremel or similar.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I've had to replace both of those hoses. For one I used a 'dremel' type drill with a cutting disc and cut through the clip with that. Not sure what I did for the other - think I was able to flick off the catch of the original clip or may have cut it carefully with a hacksaw blade. I know I didn't use the dremel as I didn't have it then!

I was able to use straight hose as a replacement - not so tidy and you have to make sure the one heading to the offside has a tendancy to kink.

Its not that difficult to remove the radiator!

jeremy
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

It's worth spending ten minutes getting the rad out. You can check the condition of the coolant and backflush the rad as well.

Better than barking your knuckles, wrecking your back and cutting the wrong hose - I speak from bitter experience - trying to save ten minutes cost me £30 for an new hose :(
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
H Reg Pete
Confirmed BX'er

Post by H Reg Pete »

Thanks guys, I'm going to have a go at this job in the morning can anyone tell me what diametre hose to get as I've to drive to the car accessory shop to get it and I cant do that once the hose is removed. I can drive about 20 miles at the moment before the warning light comes on so it should get me there
Regards
Pete
H Reg BX TZD Turbo
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

If it's the one from the oil cooler to the 'stat housing on a diesel, here is the part number.......

1307J5 RADIATOR OUTLET HOSE 9.09

Mine had still the original clip fitted and succumbed to an attack with a screw driver and a hammer :oops: Take great care with this method as it would be the start of a very bad day indeed to hammer through the oil cooler. No I didn't. If it's a turbo, take off the top rad mounting and the air inlet pipe running across the engine to give you more space.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

There are variations on the othr one too, one type returns to the radiator/header tank the other tees into the bottom hose.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The 1.7TD bottom hose is straight without a T, the N/A bottom hose has a T.

jeremy
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

jeremy wrote:The 1.7TD bottom hose is straight without a T, the N/A bottom hose has a T.

jeremy
If it's post 87
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

And as I discovered to my immense annoyance, the "T" type hose is available from GSF. The straight hose isn't, and is main dealer only, after a 3 day wait for them to order one from france!
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Yes David - that's how I found out about the difference. I see that Quinton Hazell list both top and bottom hoses for most BX including TD's in their catalogue. Loads of their catalogues are now downloadable and apparently they are working on the rest. List is on their website, as well as an on-line catalogue which appears incompatable with Mozilla Firefox brouser.

jeremy
H Reg Pete
Confirmed BX'er

Post by H Reg Pete »

Well job done but what a nightmare, spent all morning trying to buy some hose and jubilee clips, the only car accessorie shop for miles seems to sell everything for the boy racer and nothing of any use to anyone else, finaly found some at an obscure garage and started the job at about half 2, the old hoses came off easily enough, one was more or less just sitting on the pipe, having split most of the way round. The new ones went on without to much hassel the main problem being i took the leads of the alternator and the terminal on the fat lead broke off, managed to fix that but what a nightmare getting it back on, the hose is tight against the bolt it goes on and fitting the nut and then tightening it took ages, got it done though, all back together and no more leaks.
H Reg BX TZD Turbo
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

A good job jobbed though. It's the little jobs like this that I think give the most satisfaction about being able to work on your own car. How much would a garage have charged for this work? £150? maybe £350 +VAT because of the other bits and pieces that mysteriously had to be changed too?
this might be a signature
H Reg Pete
Confirmed BX'er

Post by H Reg Pete »

try not to get the tools dirty these days unless I have to, severe problem with arthritis. used to be into Landrovers, completly rebuilt a series two about 11 years ago much easier to work on though, Had to sell it before I moved up to Scotland and was given the BX as a present by a mate that has owned it from new. It is realy satisfying to fix your own car though even if it does take a week to recover afterwards. The BX is pretty reliable though and only requires the occasional maintanance although spotted a nice 2001 C5 HDI LX today and I'm tempted
H Reg BX TZD Turbo