Engine change in progress. Advice appreciated

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

Engine change in progress. Advice appreciated

Post by adamskibx »

Well I have started. So far, everthing is disconected ready for the hoist in the GT and I am half way through removing the aircon bits in the TRS. Everything is easier than I expected, but its all taking a lot more time than I expected too. Its taken me a whole day just do do what ive done so far, so I want to get the TRS to the same state before paying out to hire the crane. I want to remove them both in a day and then ill take the crane back and spend a while on the engine, and I may even swap over the subframes as the GT one is a bit suspect in places. It seems as though the bits that normally rust like sills etc havent due to waxoyl from new, but things like steering and suspension arms etc have because they havent got any oil on them as its only done 40K in 20 years. Also, it seems as though the TRS aircon was out of gas as when I undid the pipes from the aircon rad etc, there was nothing to escape, not even a hiss. I must have just thought it was working because of the effects of the fan on the radiator, or maybe it was just my imagination? What im wondering is this; Should I try and connect up all the old GT anxileries such as hydraulic pump, air filter, bulkhead mounted coil, original oil filler neck etc to the various bits of the "new" engine, or should I try and transfer accross all the TRS bits, which are different in many ways, and presumably different in a good way as the car is 4 years newer. All the wire connection blocks are different from one car to the other. What I will definately transfer accross is the second fan. At the moment this is on a manual switch on the TRS dash. I dont mind this arrangement but is there an easy way to connect the fan up so that the second one comes on when the engine is very hot? Also one other question; when you buy driveshaft oil seals from GSF, do they also give you the plastic guidance and protection bushes that are used only during driveshaft reconection? The other thing im unsure about is oil seals for the engine. Its either the engine or gearbox thats leaking in the TRS, and I dont know which. An old AA report states that its either a crankshaft or camshaft oil seal, but the most recent MOT failure states that its a gearbox leak. If im ordering oil seals, which side of the engine is the front? I presume its the flywheel side but im not too sure.

Adam
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

One way to tell the difference between engine and gearbox oil is the smell, gear oil stinks! Regarding the replacement of seals, gearbox output seals tend not to come with the plastic protector, just clean and liberally grease the end of the shaft then introduce it carefully, I would replace all of the engine seals, after all they are all the same age, and its never going to be as easy as now, I would probably pop a clutch in too. When I have hired cranes before the price was the same for a weekend as for one weekday.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers Stuart. Thats a good point about the smell of gear oil. Ill have to investigate that, but like you say I might as well do the oil seals in the engine anyway.