BX (and CX) wiper spray bar mod.

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

BX (and CX) wiper spray bar mod.

Post by DavidRutherford »

Whilst I think the idea of having the sprayers "mobile" on the wiper arm is a great idea, the BX plastic perforated pipe isn't brilliant, and does have a habit of either spraying the whole car / nearby pedestrians, or about the bottom 3" of the screen.

The 405, on the other hand, has some rather nice spray manifolds, attached to the wiper blade itself. These actually spray down onto the screen, and work brilliantly.

So. Taking this apart:

and using the plastic manifold, and about half of the flexible hose that goes to it, you can do this:

It still uses a bit of the longer leg of the BX plastic manifold, but then changes to rubber just after the clip on the arm. Any 22" wiper blade comes with the clips to hold a 405 washer manifold, as they're also used on some Alfa models too.

The result is that screenwash only goes on the screen in the wiper arc! (woo!)
this might be a signature
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Or you can remove the spray bar and cut about 1.5 - 2 inches off the straight end before refitting.

Perhaps not as elegant a solution, but at least I don't have to rob the wiper off my neighbour's 405! :D
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

sweet, i've got quite a few of the 405 spray bars pilfered from various scrapyard runs with the intention of doing much the same mod, haven't done it as my bx spray bar is working great, but i'm glad to see just how well it works, good work!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Just done that mod, seems to put less water on the screen, but in exactly the right place :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I found the same... less water but not all over the place. Which means I don't mind having a much stronger mix of screenwash in the tank, as I know it's actually being used.

I do think I'm getting a bit obsessive about 405 washer bars though... I've got them on the front of my C25 van, and even on the BACK of my 405 estate:

excessive?
this might be a signature
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Four or five of them connected using a home made manifold would make a handy shower for camping too David :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I rigged 3 of them up to an old water pump, driven from a hamster wheel via an old cambelt, to make a very effective in-oven poultry basting device.

Actually, that's not true...
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"