Tyre pressures

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Tyre pressures

Post by stuart_hedges »

Tim (previous owner) can probably answer this for me, but I thought I'd open it up for debate:

What tyre pressures would you recommend for me?

I have a 19D, with graphite alloys as found on 16V's, wearing 195 section tyres. I believe the spheres to be standard, and most of my driving at the moment is motorway cruising.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have similar wheels on both my GTIs - both shod with Pirelli P6000's and (cold) 2.1 bar (c29.4 psi) is OK for daily 'round town, but I put a little more for long motorway trips say, 2.2 (30.8) front and even nearly 2.3 (32) on the rear if there is a significant load in the back. So I guess 30 psi all round suits pretty well.

One thing I have noticed is that under 1.9 bar (26.6) you do notice on those wheel/tyre combination.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I tend to go higher in the front to the rear due to all the weight being in the front and I've also seen so many Cits running on 3 wheels that I have doubts as to how much weight those rear wheels really do support.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I once looked on one of those forecourt charts which gave lower pressures at the rear for the 16Valve GTI, from memory 27psi, perhaps one of the GTI boys could tell us what their sticker says?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Front 2.0 and rear 2.2 bar (ABS models)

However, with the wider tyres and 16v alloys a GTI might require 2.1/2.2 bar (as with later models of 16v as far as I understand).

This info comes form a Revue Technique I seem to remember - having jotted it down a couple of years ago.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I'll have to check mine in the morning, but I'm certain it's around 32 front and 28 rears on my series 2 16V.

Would it be different for export models I wonder???

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Spheres are standard matey as far as I am aware, I had the tyres at 28si all round I think!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:perhaps one of the GTI boys could tell us what their sticker says?
Stewart
According to the Cit Handbook 32psi front & back on 185/60. (even recommends 35psi for the spare!)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

As a general observation I'd say that Citroen recommended tyre pressures seem quite high for the size of the car - ie if you look at an all makes chart you will find other manufacturers making similar models with similar tyres and running on lower pressures.

Little importance - except it means that running hot is not very likely!

drivers handbook for BX 19 states that for 195/60X14 (V rated) the pressures are 32 front and 30 back. This is for 16valve - and there is no distinction between aircon and non aircon cars. The 16valve alloy engine is I believe quite heavy for its type and with aircon I doubt if there is much difference in weight between it and a diesel.

The diesel pressures on 165/70X14 are 30 front and back.

If I ever try alternative tyre pressures I make sure that after 20 miles or so at speed i check them for running temperature - by feeling them - and if they are hot I'll put a little more air in them.

jeremy
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

i run mine at 30psi front and rear! always have done!
my sticker onthe doorsais something like 28f 30r?? (would have to have a look to be sure though!)
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

jeremy wrote:As a general observation I'd say that Citroen recommended tyre pressures seem quite high for the size of the car - ie if you look at an all makes chart you will find other manufacturers making similar models with similar tyres and running on lower pressures.
jeremy
Unfortunately the BX is no longer a car that features on the forecourt charts around here so it is difficult to assess this. (Most of our stations have been renovated into mini supermarkets & the like!)
However it is probably difficult to make a direct comparison by size as the use of weight saving techniques in the BX & it's suspension possibly complicate the sums.
1991 BX19GTi Auto