Clunk

BX Tech talk
silverfox
Confirmed BX'er

Clunk

Post by silverfox »

My TXD has developed a clunk front offside but only intermittently and with wheels pointing to nearside if I go over a slight bump or uneven road. It doesn't happen every time but always at the same places! Wierd or what? Nothing seems loose! It doesn't happen on main road journeys or along the undulating lane here but as soon as I drive slowly out of Kwikies at Rhos-y-Medre and enter the gateway here there it goes! MOT is later this month so HEEEELLLLPPP! :cry:
Me depressed? Don't make me laugh!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Could be an anti-roll bar link which won't really effect the MOT, or it could be a wishbone bush that's going, and that will effect the MOT.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Drop link starting to go? they can make a noise like two skeletons bonking on a tin roof when they have a bit of play, should not show up in the test though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Sounds very drop-link. I ordered a new one from GSF, but found that a liberal spray of WD40 (what did we do without it?) cured it.

Don't ask me how....
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

More seized drop links get replaced than need to.
I found years ago that they almost totally seize and make a cracking noise as described when they decide to move.
You'll find if you tap the back of them with a small ballpein hammer it will free them up and if taken from the car, dust cover removed and regreased, they'll last forever.
I did mine about 4 or 5 years ago and still no problems.
As a bonus, I found after I had greased them that it improved ride and handling also.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

AlanS wrote:More seized drop links get replaced than need to.
I found years ago that they almost totally seize and make a cracking noise as described when they decide to move.
You'll find if you tap the back of them with a small ballpein hammer it will free them up and if taken from the car, dust cover removed and regreased, they'll last forever.
I did mine about 4 or 5 years ago and still no problems.
As a bonus, I found after I had greased them that it improved ride and handling also.

Alan S
Did the same a few weeks ago and it works a treate!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'd say drop links, but dont fall into the trap i did, replaced both drop links and not it seems the problem is actually the bottom engine mount! As i understand it drop links will make a very deffinate crack and not a thud?
silverfox
Confirmed BX'er

Post by silverfox »

Vanny wrote:I'd say drop links, but dont fall into the trap i did, replaced both drop links and not it seems the problem is actually the bottom engine mount! As i understand it drop links will make a very deffinate crack and not a thud?
Ta for all the helpful comments. And yes I suspected engine mount as the clutch can be juddery if revs not right!
Me depressed? Don't make me laugh!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You can replace the bottom mount in situ - I've done it. I think instructions are on here somewhere

jeremy