Bx speaker sizes..

Anything about BXs
Mr.Majestic
Confirmed BX'er

Bx speaker sizes..

Post by Mr.Majestic »

It pretty plain to hear that the speakers in these things are terrible..the little ones in the rear pillars are farting like an old woman after cabbage stew and the front ones are pretty feeble. What sizes are they? Im going to keep the tweeters in the dash as they are actually pretty heavy duty. A small underseat sub is going to be a must..Im a sound engineer by trade and the lack of frequencies is killing me!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Another audio person. :) The door speakers are 13cm units.

Maybe some useful info here on an old thread of mine: http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... torder=asc
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

rayfenwick wrote:The door speakers are 13cm units.
or 5.25" in old money :wink: :D

or 5 & 1/4" in jurassic cash... :roll:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I fitted some Alpine speakers to my valver last year. They are a perfect fit, sound is a little better, but i don't think interior acoustics were a priority for Citroen back in the day.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

mds141 wrote:I fitted some Alpine speakers to my valver last year. They are a perfect fit, sound is a little better, but i don't think interior acoustics were a priority for Citroën back in the day.
Acoustics? I think that should have read: "i don't think interiors were a priority for Citroën"

:wink:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

JayW wrote:
Acoustics? I think that should have read: "i don't think interiors were a priority for Citroën"

:wink:
:lol: =D>
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
Mr.Majestic
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mr.Majestic »

i like the interior on this thing..its like new..so much more character than new bore boxes.

does need a sub however..i don't want to start hacking into the parcel shelf
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

to get a really good sounding sound system in your BX you need some deadening soundproofing material in the doors if you are going to use the standard speaker locations, and maybe a little box around the back of the speaker as the BX door are so light and tinny.. The tweeters on the dash are are good tho. The back speakers cannot handle any bass so a crossover filtering out anything below 300 Hz would be good for them, but that's probably a bit excessive. Just tweaking the front-back 'fade' on the stereo should give ok results. I was pleased that the speakers in my newest BX aquisition are in pretty good shape, even the back ones, so i plan to install a decent head unit and go from there, but a sub under the seats, yes, that would make all the difference.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Mr.Majestic
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mr.Majestic »

I have a head unit that filters out bass from the door/pillar speakers, but they all need replacing. I don't have the patience to sound deaden the doors!..might do in the future depending on if the public are hearing more of my music than I am. The only problem I now face is routing the power cable from the sub in the boot through to the battery...how the bloody hell am I going to do that! I have had a good look around and can't for the life of me figure it out..short of ripping out the dash!! In my last BX I did a hash job and just spliced the power cable to the head unit so send power to the amp also, and this worked fine for the year or so that I had the car. Not ideal though.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not too difficult to remove the glove box - 3 screws top and bottom and then you can easily access the bulkhead. You can then follow the route of the wiring loom, or pierce an existing grommet. I'm pretty sure I've used the one that blanks off the steering column hole on a RHD car before.

There is a bit more info on BX audio here.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I think the Mk.1 set-up was better with the bass bin under the glove compartment - though it's not built for real high volume. I've got an early 90s Grundig radio/cassette with mini-jack input for an MP3 with two extra tweeters in the original recesses in the sides in the boot and the sound is great.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Mr.Majestic
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mr.Majestic »

sweet. cheers lads..will give me something to do today
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

I custom fitted some 6x9 speakers into the shelf on my valver years ago and made an MDF insert for the shelf trimmed in acoustic cloth , couldn't be seen from outside but sounded pretty good with the nice Alpine head unit

Mark
Mr.Majestic
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mr.Majestic »

unfortunately, installing 6x9's aren't really an option as i use the car often full of music gear and need the shelf out quite a bit. The little pillar mounted drivers in the back look like they are riveted in..so Im gonna have to chop some wires to stop them flapping
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I have just replaced the original dealer fit stereo in my TGD Auto with a new Pioneer Unit I fitted to a previous car that my son ended up writing off.
I am amased from the sound quality I am now getting out of the orignal speaker set up it's really good + I now have it ignition fed :D
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.