Todd's '88 16v

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Nice to see a Phase 1 16V in red / pink.

Just noticed the Pernod sun strip as well :D

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

In order to get my yellow break out on the road for a test drive, going to the TÜV etc. I had to get special 'short term' numberplates. A bit like tradeplates in UK. I bought them for five days and as I got the Break through its TÜV on Thursday I thought it would be a waste if I didn't use the remaining time to get 'the beast' out of its lair!

This is how it looked at five o'clock on Thursday - where it's sat for the last eight months undisturbed, catching dust. I cleared away the crap, put a battery in it and.. it fired up.

17.15, numberplates fitted and ready for the road

Outside the bank getting the €€€s to put in the tank

I went up into the hills to see a friend, have a beer. I really clogged it up there on the empty roads

Back home again in one piece

Handing over to the second driver - my son Ingmar

I went to take it out yesterday for a final blast, had the kids in the back then I noticed a big pool of LHM. Upon inspection saw that the R/h rear brake pipe was heavily corroded and probably had rubbed on the inside of the alloy and snapped above the union. I was lucky.. hooning around the hills at nutty speeds the previous day without incident. Must have happened just as I got back to the barn!
Got to do some work on the ole girl now the break's back on the road
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Loving it :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I went and collected the new brake pipe from Herr Wolf at Citroen and it was a reasonable €17 inc tax.
I jacked it up at the back and removed the old crusty number then I had to get back to family scene. The good news is that this car was mostly re-piped at some point before I bought it and I couldn't see any other rusty pipes.
Also after doing all the welding and underside on the yellow Break the 16v looks in pretty good nick. I don't think it will need too much for TÜV though it's been 'off the road' for almost eight years. Just a bit of front inner wings welding. Apart from that it runs really well which belies its shabby front.
When I bought this in 2008 I knew nothing really about these cars but it seems it was 350 sheets well spent. I'm hoping to bring this to the ICCR next year unless petrol hits €5 a litre!
Todd

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ace. If you can avoid the 'fun' zone beyond 4000rpm, these can be surprisingly thrifty. Pretty sure I got 40mpg on one occasion with mine. Also pretty sure that only happened once!

A shabby 16v can be a A LOT of fun.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Dollywobbler wrote: A shabby 16v can be a A LOT of fun.
+1, although this is not condusive to good economy :(
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Todd, if you bring it to the ICCR do you want me to bring my machine polisher and G3? :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

Hope you make it to the ICCR ,

Mark
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Polishing it would spoil it :))
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I changed the brake pipe - straightforward, then I saw that the pipe to the R/H rear cylinder was looking like something dug up from a field by a bloke with a metal detector.

I have one in stock so I thought - I'll sort that quickly too. I sprayed the pentrating oil, clipped off the pipe and slipped the 8mm socket on, turned it gently and the the blasted thing turned to mush!

Ok, got to remove the cylinder now - argh, what a palavar, with the remnants of the pipe still sticking out and preventing it from going anywhere, but got it out onto the bench eventually where I applied my 'stud remover' and mushed the remants of it without getting the thread out :roll:

I'm sure this is a common one, I feel lucky that the suspension pipes of the yellow one came out relatively easy. I went and got the spare one that I took off a GTI and noticed that someone had already mushed that too!
Have to get the tap out tomorrow. How a quick job turns into a long one!
Todd

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Mike P wrote:Nice to see a Phase 1 16V in red / pink.

Mike P
So is this a ph1 or a ph2? - cos it looks like a ph2 to me ;)
Jeth
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jeth »

scarecrow wrote:
Mike P wrote:Nice to see a Phase 1 16V in red / pink.

Mike P
So is this a ph1 or a ph2? - cos it looks like a ph2 to me ;)
p1 16v :P

p2 16v has different rear spoiler and bumpers
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Phase 1 based upon the:

Rear spoiler
Rear vents in the C pillar
Front wing bodykit pieces
Side bump strips
Both the bumpers

Cant make out the interior in any of the photos to say if it is Monza or LeMans trim, although the Monza trim did span the crossover between P1 and P2.

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Thanks - I understand now :-reindeer
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

A little bit of progress.. or not. As I had the R/H rear arm off for welding access and other things I thought I'd better check the bearings.
Tapped the tube out gently, broke one of the bearings in the process only to realise that it must have been done quite recently, well probably ten years ago but as the car has been off the road for eight years it was looking almost new and very nicely done too with the tube all full up of grease. Blast! At least I won't have to do the other side!
Gives me faith in the previous owner though that he did have some of the jobs done on it. Waiting for a new bearing kit to arrive.. :roll:
Todd