Bumper Colours

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Bumper Colours

Post by Tim Leech »

http://oto.to/schematy/kolory.pdf

Have a Mk1 front bumper sorted, in primer, which needs painting, on Mk1 cars the bumpers differ in colour to the body colour slightly.

Ive seen the above website and wonder if anyone had experience of painting a Mk1 bumper from fresh before. I had teh GT one done in 2007 but they justs did that body coloured.

Cheers!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The Mk.1 bumpers, if they weren't painted, I think came in two different tones of plastic - the light grey colour which my TRD has and the darker almost bluey grey plastic ( like the pic I sent you Tim of that one for sale near here).
Are you sure your bumper is in primer not just the original grey of the plastic?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote:The Mk.1 bumpers, if they weren't painted, I think came in two different tones of plastic - the light grey colour which my TRD has and the darker almost bluey grey plastic ( like the pic I sent you Tim of that one for sale near here).
Are you sure your bumper is in primer not just the original grey of the plastic?
Not sure to be honest Todd, will know more when I get my hands on it, they did do them in other colours asides the usual grey/blue, our Black 19RD had black bumpers and ive seen a red 16TRS with red bumpers.

They do list different colour codes for the bumpers compared to the body according to the link.

What im aiming for is this! http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-c ... oto10.html :shock:
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Tim just wondering, are the bumpers actually sprayed, or is the colour impregnated during the bumper manufacturing process, hence the discrepency in colour.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:Tim just wondering, are the bumpers actually sprayed, or is the colour impregnated during the bumper manufacturing process, hence the discrepency in colour.
Not sure Mark, The rear one is starting to peel in places (got a bit too close with the jetwash!) and is a grey colour underneath, this could have been replaced in its life as its far better condition than the front which is bettered. The plan is to get the both painted at the same time so they match (each other).
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

My E reg GTi (Venetian Red IIRC) had red bumpers where they were fully coloured through and not over-painted. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

The original bumpers would made with coloured plastic.
Replacement bumpers were grey plastic primed ready to be painted.

My gold BX had a beige plastic bumper, this was replaced with a replacement painted bumper after an accident 22years ago.
Apart from a touch-up to fill the scratches (garage door chiseling taking a wedge out the bumper) the bumper the colour painting has done well.
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tim i think the colour coded bumpers were the same colour as the body, but just in an egg shell texture/finnish,

so this made them look a diferent shade,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

My 1989 GTI had bumpers in an eggshell finish, and moulded in not-quite-the-same colour as the car's body.

This made the BX look a bit shabby even when it was new.

I think the later cars had the bumpers properly painted, and looked much smarter for it.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

On the red GTi the coloured plastic looked good when it was new even though I agree there was a shade difference. The main problem down the line though was that they don't age as well as the painted bumpers. They suffer degradation from atmospheric UV.

I believe some on here in the past have rejuvenated them with a pain strip gun or powerful hairdryer. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Mine (92 1.9 diesel) is a dark grey plastic overpainted in lighter grey to 'match' the silver car colour. Its frustrating that the colour actually comes off via a jet wash. Poor show Citroen.

Im looking for a patch up matching colour at the moment, but id like to take both bumpers off and get them stripped and painted properly sometime.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

My plan is to get both bumpers painted at the same time using the colour code, hopefully if they are prepared right and baked it the paint should stay put!

The GT front i had done in 2007 is still doing well.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'm in agreement with Neil regarding MK1 bumpers, they weren't painted, just different coloured plastic.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So, what's the plan Tim? To paint the bumpers to match the colour they would have been (in 'raw' plastic) - and not use a gloss/lacquered finish I assume - OR to paint them in the body or another shade of that colour? The pic/link you posted seems to suggest the bumpers will be dark grey?

Would you prefer plastic bumpers with no paint? In which case has anyone had experience in stripping paint off these sort of bumpers I wonder?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

My plan is to return the DTR to as near "original" condition, however I do have a set of metric alloys doing nothing....

If I could buy two correct new coloured plastic bumpers I would, but Ive more chance of winning the lottery I fear so will get the new one I collect tomorrow and the rear one (which has paint peeling in places so probably isnt the original) painted in a matt/eggshell finish using the colour code provided if its still available.

I cant run to getting the paint done yet as shes got to go up t'north for a bit of fettling first with he of the magical BX spanners! :wink: