Future mot work

Anything about BXs
Discoil
BXpert

Future mot work

Post by Discoil »

I'd been under the motor recently and noticed the rust man had been and left his trail of destruction on the box section at the back of the estate ( side to side ) :( .
Set to this morning to remove the tow bar ( it's only been on about 15 years ). Out of 4 fixing bolts one was defiant and then admitted defeat. :D
Then the bumper was removed.
The motor is now booked in for welding on Wednesday and then the bumper can go back on.

I applied a little hammer to the rust on the tow bar to find that needs welding also. Different man to do this one for free hopefully. And then a full refurb with black paint to follow.
Land Rover Discovery TD5
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

If you look at this thread you'll see that there is an estate rear member for sale.
Several times I have seen these welded up but if you've got the time replace the whole thing perhaps?

I did this job on my estate as I was given the part for free but it involves drilling out a lot of spot welds etc. to get the old one out then spot welding/sealing in the new one.

It was a load of work and probably not really necessary as they only rot out on the ends but I was well chuffed with the result.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

After having bought the Break 5 years back, I looked behind the bumper and found that.

A couple of years from now, I'm thinking of stripping the entire rear suspension and welding the rear properly. Wouldn't mind otherwise, but the 5-seat van-classified diesels are a real rarity nowadays, and I'd rather pay the 50 euro diesel tax for a van than 300 euro for an otherwise similar car with a marginally more comfortable rear seat. So I try to keep that Break rolling as long as possible.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Welding in the snow! Don't think I will complain about our weather again...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

rmattila wrote:After having bought the Break 5 years back, I looked behind the bumper and found that.
Mine looks mint up to your pictures :)

As for the complete crossmember. well , I don't do much underneath work at my age if I can help it but thanks for looking.
Its the outer ends that need the work.

Started to clean the rust off the towbar in between the falling rain.Gonna take a while ( Citroen tow bar )
Then there is / are the mudflaps to refurb also ( genuine )
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

Got the BX back from the welder man , looking good , bumper back on and inside rebuilt. Rear lights tested after having them out to fit the bumper.

I'm a " round to it " worker so it may be a while before the tow bar is done! :lol:

There are the mudflaps to sort out . The spare ones are in a shed where it appears there is a wasps nest inside somewhere :x and I don't feel brave enough to test out the theory :roll:
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

The wasp's nest is approx 15 in in diameter and the local coucil want £48 + vat to remove it. Next door neighbour used to have bees and so he'll put the powder on when I have it.

The towbar would have taken ages to clean off the rust so I've taken it to be shot blasted . Then I'll be able to see what needs repairing :shock:
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

Tow bar has been shot blasted and highlighted a couple of areas to be repaired.
Had some 3mm plate donated and stuck them on with my ' gasless ' mig. Not a neat job but won't come off !!!!!!!.

Tow bar now white as the paint was ' in stock '

Dilemma:::: Use the old bolts or go and buy new ?

Local to me and passing, the nut and bolt shop was 99p for 8 bolts and 4 nuts :D

Now fitted and all fixings torqued up.
Land Rover Discovery TD5