BX Club website.

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

BX Club website.

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Can we do something about clearing up the mess that is our 'front of house'? I am not having a pop at anyone involved with keeping the Forum going, but pleeeease, we must improve things. It's plain embarrassing (we still have BXagon announcements etc. on there). I'll do anything I can to help.

The simplest way forward would be to remove BXagon bits and the Gallery (we have one here). Maybe tidy up the design a little? Again I am happy to help in whatever way my limited web skills allow.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I agree. It is a bit of a dogs breakfast! Seeing as Citroen motor cars are famous for design excellence and flair something that was a bit . . .erm . . . 'designed' would be good? I'd be willing to help - but I'm crap at all that computer techy stuff.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I can't help now (studying + working), but I can help in the autumn with putting a basic website together, or just processing some graphics (though perhaps not as well as some of the geeks on here (not meant pejoratively - I love geeks)).

Really though the club is centred around the forum, isn't it? Does anyone actually visit the homepage?
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

For what its worth, i visit the home page to source info placed on the site over the years - articles of interest etc. However I agree the forum is indeed the 'main event'.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

It's worth a lot - and I apologise for never having studied the home page :oops:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

This topic has gone all quiet again, who do we need to talk too.

Ta!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As I said, I can make design suggestions but I need to know who's going to implement them in a form that is appropriate for the website. We could take the opportunity to freshen up the logo (if enough support a revamp) and create a home page that is fresh and contemporary, having ditched unnecessary or unpopular/outmoded aspects like the Gallery.

Someone contact me with the technical requirements of what I need to supply. In the meantime I could dummy up a Home page design to gauge opinion?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Someone contact me with the technical requirements of what I need to supply. In the meantime I could dummy up a Home page design to gauge opinion?
Sounds like a good idea!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Wondered if they'd been any movement on this. There are a couple of ex-students of mine that are now web designers (that probably owe me a couple of favours!) if no one else steps into the breech I could make some enquiries as a contingency?

If you're going to be at the CX,XM, Xantia bash or Stratford Phil I could sort some info out for then? It would get things moving if no computer wizardry appears from amongst our ranks?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK, I'll be at Little Horwood on the 3rd so we chat then. In the meantime I will do a mock up of the Home page/non-forum pages.

Phil
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Well short of a complete makeover, at very least we can swap the BXagon graphic and text for something more current

Pretty much zero cost..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Agreed, although everything we are planning should be pretty much zero cost - I hope!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

My computer skills began and ended in 1985 with the BBC micro computers we had at school. :oops: Perhaps we could have the classic challenge 2012 as a screen saver on the forum homepage.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:As I said, I can make design suggestions but I need to know who's going to implement them in a form that is appropriate for the website. We could take the opportunity to freshen up the logo (if enough support a revamp) and create a home page that is fresh and contemporary, having ditched unnecessary or unpopular/outmoded aspects like the Gallery.

Someone contact me with the technical requirements of what I need to supply. In the meantime I could dummy up a Home page design to gauge opinion?
Is this not stepping on the site owner/creators toes a little bit? Although currently out of date it is an excellent website. Is there no way of contacting the owner first to seak his permission?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Defender110 wrote:
Philip Chidlow wrote:As I said, I can make design suggestions but I need to know who's going to implement them in a form that is appropriate for the website. We could take the opportunity to freshen up the logo (if enough support a revamp) and create a home page that is fresh and contemporary, having ditched unnecessary or unpopular/outmoded aspects like the Gallery.

Is this not stepping on the site owner/creators toes a little bit? Although currently out of date it is an excellent website. Is there no way of contacting the owner first to seak his permission?
The creator is/was Jon Wood, a great chap, but he has a different set of circumstances since he set up the website in 2005 and has handed over the reigns to Xac and Jim Eatment and has nothing much to with the running of the site anymore. I think just a loading page which directs people to the information/forum would be a good idea as the front page is a bit dated and rather "busy".