Autocar BX mystery!

Anything about BXs
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Autocar BX mystery!

Post by Dollywobbler »

We've been discussing this road test on Autoshite. Check out the picture of the centre console bottom left...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

They have mixed up the photos between a 19RD and a 16TRS auto it seems!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Exactly. But why has the auto got the manual gear layout just below the selector?!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Exactly. But why has the auto got the manual gear layout just below the selector?!
Haha Typical Citroen, ive bought a used auto like that once....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's got me curious though. What SHOULD a BX auto have there?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:It's got me curious though. What SHOULD a BX auto have there?
Nothing, it should have the cut out but thats all.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

They probably employed a bloke to remove the sticker. Maybe it was his day off.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Or, and quite likely, it is a tool test car which later became a 'press' car in which some components would have been put together without the production line having sufficient experience to know exactly, and perfectly how things should go together, and hence the rear window switches being in the wrong places.

Even now this is not uncommon practise, a lot of cars on Top Gear are pre production 'press' cars which in my experience differ from the final sales model, some times a little, sometimes a hell of a lot!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote:Or, and quite likely, it is a tool test car which later became a \'press\' car in which some components would have been put together without the production line having sufficient experience to know exactly, and perfectly how things should go together, and hence the rear window switches being in the wrong places.

Even now this is not uncommon practise, a lot of cars on Top Gear are pre production \'press\' cars which in my experience differ from the final sales model, some times a little, sometimes a hell of a lot!
Or the front window switches ;)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Indeed, Mk1 Window switches were located in the centre console too as per the photo.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

ah, the things you learn. Funny, i've stripped three Mk1's and never really noticed that subtle difference. That would explain 8 holes, 4 windows, 4 heated seats.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

And aircon. One of my mk1\'s had the aircon switch down there too. Think I took a pic of it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
pmh
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pmh »

I was surprised to see the date (1986) and the price of £8000. I bought a Volvo 240GL Estate in April 1986 and IIRC that cost me about £8300. OK the ride was not so refined, not so economical, but a lot of car for the money. It was cheaper than a Vauxhall Cavalier estate at the time.

That car is probably the only reason that I am still in one piece, since my wife managed to demolish a lamp standard and close the A1 Southbound at about 01.00 one saturday night in about 2003. The base of the lamp standard got back as far as the bulkhead, but we both walked away with belt burns only.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The relative costs are probably down to the age of the design. In 1986 the BX was still quite a new design, and Citroen would have been wanting to recoup the development costs. The Volvo on the other hand had been in production at least 10 years (15 if you count the 140 it was developed from) and they were probably already working on the 740 that would be launched a few years later. Quite often cars at that stage of their production life were sold quite cheaply in order to keep the sales going.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!