Need confirmation: Are the diesel engines interchangeable?

Anything about BXs
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Need confirmation: Are the diesel engines interchangeable?

Post by axbx »

Are they?
I can get an XM 2,1(xud11...) for free, thinking of swapping if they are "plug and play" with eachother 8)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Its been done, but not a plug and play affair Im sure! someone more educated in oil burners will be along soon to fill you in! :lol:

Depends how bigger hammer you have I expect!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

In a nutshell NO. Don't get me wrong, it's possible but Not without considerable effort. Plug & Play = Phail.

Besides, if you happen to get a non-turbo there's no power to be gained over the 1.7td and the lated 2.1TD's have the utterly useless EPIC pumps...
I have zero patience for your tedium.
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

How much extra work is needed? Its a turbo one, oh yes :twisted: and i have a spare bosch pump laying around..( at least the pumps are plug an play on any xud or what?)

I thought and heard the xud's were the exact same shells, only with bigger bores inside?
How bout an 1,9td from a xantia or another bx?

Thanks
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

axbx wrote:How bout an 1,9td from a xantia or another bx?
Don't know about TD:s, but there's a regular XUD9 from a -96 Xantia going to my Old lady a couple of months ago:
http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... ne_change/

No mods were needed, so it appears that Xantia would share the exactly same mounting geometry with BX.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

One of the members on here has fitted a 1.9 Turbo diesel from either the xantia or zx, i think they are the same engines as each other?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Stewart put a 1.9 into a BX, fitted a bigger turbo and a (snicker) bonnet scoop too. Don't know how he did it. He called the car "The Hooligan".
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Simple job, only thing is the cam on the Xantia engine does not have the provision to drive the HP pump pulley. Stewart modified the existing cam, Vanny used the Xantia hydraulics, I changed the cam for a BX N/A diesel cam(I like the easy life!) The ZX engine has a vacuum pump driven off that end of the cam, which is lubricated by the engine oil. Hence the oilway in the head needs blocking off to avoid dramatic loss of oil...

The 2.1 engine has a similar block, but the (12 valve) head is much larger so as Jay said, not plug and play. It has been done by one of the foreign members on here, and I think some of the videos are on YouTube.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

mat_fenwick wrote:the cam on the Xantia engine does not have the provision to drive the HP pump pulley.
Is that a deffinate? Frankly i've never looked, but the shaft on the engine i had stuck out of the casting by around an inch and had an alloy cover over the end of it. I rather hoped/assumed there might be a thread in there for the pulley, but was so hell bent on having no <expletive> FDV that i never bothered to look.

It might be as simple (yeah right) as drilling and threading the end of the shaft?

Otherwise you have to consider the electrics. I think anything after about 1996 has a 'security' pump on both the Xantia and ZX which basically means the stop solenoid is controlled by an imoboliser and not easily wired into a BX. I think very late XM engines had all kinds of hocus pocus engine things going on (CAN or KWP networks) which are a right hassle to join up.

Pumps are typically tuned to the engine. The Xantia engine i had in my BX was from an estate and had been deliberately tuned to meet german fuel emmisions, it was tuned low on torque and power, but the fuel economy was excellent. I managed 71.6mpg on a 400mile journey! Basically my warning is that while taking a pump of one car and sticking it on another will probably work with no detrimental impact, it might be far less than perfect!

Oh, i also had a front mounted intercooler!

Hmm, first 1.9TD conversion, first twin output pump conversion and first front mount intercooler conversion, on the same BX, in the same week. What in gods name was i thinking!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Vanny wrote:the shaft on the engine i had stuck out of the casting by around an inch and had an alloy cover over the end of it. I rather hoped/assumed there might be a thread in there for the pulley, but was so hell bent on having no <expletive> FDV that i never bothered to look.

It might be as simple (yeah right) as drilling and threading the end of the shaft?
Hmm, I remember Stewart saying he tapped a thread in it I think, but not sure whether he had to turn a step for the pulley to sit against. Can't say I looked either, just swapped the cam over. It wouldn't surprise me if they all start from the same casting though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

The same casting they first made in 1976 and even today hasn't changed much! Good effort getting 40+ years from a single design.
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

Nice, i dont know if the 2,1 in question is a 12v or not(dont they come in different versions too?), might it be easier if it isnt then?? i know the(or some type of it anyway...) was fitted in the xantia too, perhaps this is also smaller, i will check it out

And you say its just to "swap" cams if needed to get the pulley for the bx hpump, sounds strange but what do i know.....

probably wont happen anyway, just a dream..... maybe one day :P
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

the XUD11 was always a D12, multivalve head, although it's possible to fit an 8 valve head to it, for what gain though? I's an awful lot of work for little net gain unless you want to seriousley powertune it..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...