Need to change my cambelt on my TZD

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I'm a bit confused here.
You have both front wheels free of the ground?
If you have then turning the wheel in gear will have no effect on the engine whatsoever as the diff will counter any movement you give to one side by rotating the other wheel.

So, maybe the brake was stuck on on the opposite side which allowed the engine to be turned over, but has now freed and therefore both wheels are turning and the engine is not?

Only other thing that springs to mind is that *possibly* one of the inner CV joints has parted company from the shaft?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Ah, uhm, so, it is actually a good thing that if I rotate one wheel, the engine doesn't turn with it?

Yes, both front wheels are off the ground. If I rotate the front left wheel, which is still on, then if I check the other side I can see that the right side (where I took the wheel off) was moving, too. So that's normal? The engine only turns with the other wheel blocked? Well, guess that explains it then. So that's perfectly normal? I feel a bit stupid.

*reads wikipedia article about differentials

Ah, so the opposite wheel is actually turning the other way? Well. I see, that's pretty smart. I still need to read some more to fully understand it though.

But thanks. I get it now ;)
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

TB2 wrote:Yes, both front wheels are off the ground. If I rotate the front left wheel, which is still on, then if I check the other side I can see that the right side (where I took the wheel off) was moving, too. So that's normal? The engine only turns with the other wheel blocked? Well, guess that explains it then. So that's perfectly normal? I feel a bit stupid.
Yes, thats perfectley normal!

Diff's are very easy to understand, once you understand what they do!

Still, thats one problem sorted without any outlay of cash! Result.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

What you want is a Technics Lego differential so that you can see how they work :lol: Remarkable simple solution to what is on the surface quite a complex problem.

I too have fallen in the "both wheels off the ground, can't rotate the engine" hole :roll:
I NEED a BX TD.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Quote TB2: "I took a look at the manual and found out that the hand brake also locks the front wheels"

It ONLY locks the front wheels. Make sure to secure the back wheels with 4 suitable wheel stops. I don't even trust the handbrake --- I also secure the fronts wheels with stops when I have the back of the car jacked up.

You can get the timing marks into approximate position before you jack the car up by nudging the car backwards and forwards whilst putting it in and out of gear as often as necessary. Then you can do the fine adjustment with a wrench on the crankshaft pulley.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
YorkieTXD

Post by YorkieTXD »

Ian_Fearn wrote:Cheers David, i'd intended to do the pump and tensioner regardless.

This is a money no object job, i've wanted this car for years!
if its money no object, why not pay someone to do it. i have just been quoted £150 of a mate as he reckons its a four hour job.
Current 1993 19 TXD White
Previous 1988 19 Rd
YorkieTXD

Post by YorkieTXD »

YorkieTXD wrote:
Ian_Fearn wrote:Cheers David, i'd intended to do the pump and tensioner regardless.

This is a money no object job, i've wanted this car for years!
if its money no object, why not pay someone to do it. i have just been quoted £150 of a mate as he reckons its a four hour job.
okay why did i post this when it was sooooo long ago!
Current 1993 19 TXD White
Previous 1988 19 Rd
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

This I have learnt : do NOT use a junior hacksaw handle in the flywheel timing hole, make sure it's a proper 8mm steel rod or drill bit with no play whatsoever as this is critical. If all the pins/screws are tight with no play the cambelt is straightforward.

I learnt this the hard way when the belt slipped and the pistons went up, hit the valves and broke the camshaft. If there is any play in the screws that hold the cam/pump pulley and the flywheel it's possible to jump a tooth when fitting the belt.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

This thread is great. Hoping to have time to tackle the belt on mine this week. Am I right in thinking that essential items include a deep 16mm socket but that I can probably get away with not having to remove the crank pulley? On the advice of Mr Fenwick, the starter motor will be coming off.

I'm replacing the water pump (as it's leaking) and the tensioner (part of the kit so it'd be foolish to not replace it I reckon). Presume I need to drop the coolant before taking the pump off? If it hasn't all drained out anyway... :roll:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes you need to drop the coolant, I have never found the need to remove the starter motor but I would remove the crank pulley as it makes it much easier especially when fitting all new parts/belt and I like to see every part of the belt is correctly positioned on each pulley.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

its not possible to change a cam belt without removeing the crank pully,
unless someone knows something i dont, i have been knowen to be wrong :shock: :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

citronut wrote:i have been known to be wrong :shock: :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
Well, this time you get away with it old man :lol:

For thou art correct.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Interesting. At least two people have said that it can be done in this thread...
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Only if the plastics are missing! :lol:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

/\ Agreed. I don't think you can remove the lower plastic cover (in one piece at least!) with the crank pulley still in place.
Starter motor is a matter of preference - makes it easier to find the hole, especially if it is your first time (should I rephrase that? :oops: ) and is very little bother on a NA diesel.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad