Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Actually Phil, I reckon The Green Tiger could rival your TXD for service history. I bought it with 142k miles and after speaking to my local garage - who'd serviced it since 1993 - I had the full service history from new! Even down to the speedo cable change at 16k miles when it was with Cowies Interleasing (which suggests it's done a few more miles than recorded!).

Had reams and reams of history, which I kept going when I had it. I know it's done another 9000 miles since I sold it, but not sure how much servicing it's getting now...

It is amazing just how well some people look after their cars.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not long after buying mine (with no history) I found a fleet car service print off for the first 3 years and 70k miles under the passenger seat. Apart from the 27k mile gap before I bought it (over 8 years... :roll: ) I've kept a very complete record of everything spent on it since. Partly because I have no life, but also as it highlights which brands of parts last, and what don't - brake pads for example.
The service print off showed that the running costs had gone over budget by something like 400%, so much for 'Loves driving, hates garages'!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

My BX had a complete new engine fitted at around 25,000 miles, all paid for my Citroen. I have the receipt-and the total bill is many thousands.

Funnily enough, before I bought it, my Peugeot 406 had a new engine fitted when it was only 2 years old as well.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Service history is always something I prefer in a car. I've only ever bought one car without any at all and it was a disaster.

But it might be because of what it was... :lol:

Mind you this had little history and it was quite good 8) For a 2.4 petrol supercharged, chipped and modded MPV :wink:

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

One thing I've learned is that, in recent years I cannot plan ahead regarding my cars. My work has been so up and down - despite my best efforts to try to get stability - that they always seem vulnerable (as assets) that at almost a moment's notice they might need to be 'realised'. I have been struggling with my main client since June, and when two projects which would have kept me 'secure' up until June next year were put back to the spring, something had to give. I am genuinely upset that the most 'sellable' car I had was the TXD estate. That darned Xantia is too recent a acquisition, which owes me a lot more than I could currently get for it, the GS is well, in bits, and the 19TGD hatchback - the Red Baron - was free and is our Challenge car. If it wasn't for the fact I won't be BXless (as I am going to use the Red Baron) I think I would be very much more upset. I realise now, it's the 'BX' that I love, not a BX.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Just a bit of fun, but maybe come the Challenge we might tart the old girl up like this!

Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

*cough* thats a Mk1.....

Anyway, I want plenty of stickers for the "red shed" too! :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I know...:roll: It's not meant to be 'accurate' to that degree Tim lol! But you get the idea.

I got SKF, Valeo, Michelin, Facom, Hella, some Citroen (smaller) stickers off eBay, the plaques, large Citroën (and large chevrons), all the Total stickers, plus the BX 30th anniversary stickers and sun strip will be made in time for the Challenge. I'll order enough so you can have some and there'll be BX specific ones available to all BXers who want them. I will also do a BXC window sticker at the same time.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Phil, that is just how i plan the valver to look for the challenge. Plus a roof rack with spare wheels and jerry cans. 8) :lol: Already got a set of NOS Hella projector beam spotlights to go on. 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Philip Chidlow wrote:One thing I've learned is that, in recent years I cannot plan ahead regarding my cars. My work has been so up and down - despite my best efforts to try to get stability - that they always seem vulnerable (as assets) that at almost a moment's notice they might need to be 'realised'.
I'm fast learning this myself. The perilous life of the freelancer! Selling my Saab 9000 was meant to be freeing up funds for the BX restoration, but instead is merely allowing us to not starve. So, the Range Rover is now up for sale as well, and hopefully that will bank-roll some more Mk1 progress!

Mind you, perhaps it was ambitious to try and maintain a fleet of 5 cars on the road between two of us when we've deliberately slashed our income for better quality of life...(and no, we're not claiming any benefits!)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Phil, that is just how i plan the valver to look for the challenge. Plus a roof rack with spare wheels and jerry cans. Already got a set of NOS Hella projector beam spotlights to go on.
I've set my sights slightly lower for the look of the GS - All one shade of green :oops: :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Should look lovely :) It is a GS after all 8)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Tim wants his red BX done out like this too. Should make for a striking pair - if not the fastest BXs around they might well be the 'loudest' :lol:

Note some minor added detail... :)

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

So does that Make you Red Leader then :wink: (hoing you like Star Wars!)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:lol: Episodes IV, V and VI, yes.

Hey, Tim, keep your eBay and Boot fair eyes for spot lights Cibié if you can get them, but Hella or even Ring will be OK. If you get a rectangular set like the Hellas we have (a new pair of 181's and a good used pair of Comet 550's) Phil will make up two brackets and wiring sets I'm sure :)

A set of large Citroen (3), small Citroen (3) and Total (4) stickers, along with the large chevrons (1) will be in the order of £50. Shop around for your other stickers :) I have a couple of spare Citroen logos for the sun strip and front wings BTW.

Anyway, I'm getting just a little carried away.... it's over 7 months off! :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.