Pimping ma ride!

Anything about BXs
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Pimping ma ride!

Post by Mr B »

I've replaced that nasty black mesh on the C panels with a bit of ally 8)

Bugger to do as the grill panel must be fitted before the C panel is bonded in. Worth it though as I think it looks rather good :wink:
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Oh hahahahahahah

:D :D :D :D

Jon you cracked me up, my colleagues know I'm not working..........that picture is hysterical....
Toddman
BXpert

pimpin'

Post by Toddman »

Nice job :D - I was very tired of my rusty white original mesh so opted for ally as well
And yes that is a saxo badge on thee but no plans for a whale tail :P

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Wikkid M8, kool innit :roll: It took about half an hour, luckily I had a spare black backing panel as I bust the near side one removing it. Doh!

Toddman:

Thats the spirit! Looks excellent :wink: I think i'll add a thin black line in the same place you have your thick and thin red stripes :idea:
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

This is my next Barry mod, it's the one you're all gonna want oh yeah!

Full instuctions here http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/mycoffeecan/page1.html
Last edited by Mr B on Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toddman
BXpert

pimpin'

Post by Toddman »

Thanks MrB - beleive it or not my auntie has a cat aclled Mr B he is a massive black tomcat and a real character :D
The red pinstripes were the only non std part of the car when I bought it but I have grown to like them as they pick out the red bumper trim nicely.
Dare I post the front of my Barry mobile/

Jon - I took the easy route to do my side vents and asked the mate at the bodyshop to do them as the car was in for some paint so if he hit trouble he could spray it over.
AFAIK he just removed the visible rivet and then used a long sharp blade to slide behind the vent then it was just brute force to pull them off as he said they were bonded on and he has bonded them back with tigerseal(windscreen bond) - the car goes back in next month for the inner wings to be finished so I will ask him exactly what was involved.

Cheers
Luke

P.S. I am now looking for an empty Nescafe catering tin :shock:

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Remove the bonded C-panel ? Buggery! If you degrommet and unclip the interior boot plastic side panels you reveal the interior air vent assembly in all its ..erm... black plastic glory. Unscrew at either end (hex-headed retaining screws), and the panel can be pulled inward for pond-cleaning. Thought of replacing my mesh with loofah material to continue the "green car" theme .......
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

DLM wrote:Remove the bonded C-panel ? Buggery! If you degrommet and unclip the interior boot plastic side panels you reveal the interior air vent assembly in all its ..erm... black plastic glory. Unscrew at either end (hex-headed retaining screws), and the panel can be pulled inward for pond-cleaning. Thought of replacing my mesh with loofah material to continue the "green car" theme .......
I think you could be on the wrong track Dave. I didn't remove the C panel, sod that! The vent panel must be fitted at the factory before the C panel as it's a bit tricky to take off the vent afterwards. It is also stuck on at the front with a touch glue which needs gentle application of a screwdriver.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Apologies for my robust reply Mr B - but I wasn't thinking in terms of removing the external vent panel. I was thinking of the black plastic mesh-holder inside, which IS both accessible and removable without removing any external panels (just about).

I probably didn't read all the way back before posting too.

Glad to hear you didn't tackle C-pillar removal (probably about as mad as removing the roof side-strips), though I've got a C-pillar confession to make. When I said the "internal" route to get at the decaying mesh was easy, I forgot that I'd already removed the INTERNAL C-pillar trim when I checked out the sorry remains of my mesh lining the other day. The screw-fitting for the mesh-holder should still be accessible, though.
Toddman
BXpert

vents and mesh

Post by Toddman »

I am confused now!
I never mentioned the c-pillar and all that was removed was the exterior air vent then the mesh from benesath it.
Sooooo.... Is it possible to remove the metal mesh that goes rusty from inside the car and if so is it worth the hassle or is it easier to just pull the vent off the outside?

Cheers
Luke

DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

OK - I seem to have muddied the waters quite a bit. I'll try to clear them.

If the exterior panel prises off easily without risk of damage, then that's the most direct way to go. If it doesn't, then you have to go from the inside.

I'm a bit paranoid about removing exterior plastic trim on the BX in case of damage or difficulty in replacing it, so that's why I've never removed an exterior grille, apart from on a scrapper a couple of years back.

My cautious approach on such things started when I tried to remove the roof side panels from the same scrapper and made a pig's ear of the job.
Toddman
BXpert

vents

Post by Toddman »

Thanks DLM :D
I must admit I was worried about damage occuring - that's why I got the bodyshop to do it so they could touch up if need be.
Removal from the inside does sound a more sensible route to take but like you say if the vents will come off relatively easily that is a more direct route.

Cheers
Luke