1988 1.9RD Estate

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

robt wrote:Thanks for yet more welcomes, you're a friendly bunch on here :D

Might see you around then Des. I live in Beckenham and keep the BX garaged up in Crystal Palace at the moment (I'm yet to find a council garage nearer home). I'm currently having a bit of a spend up on ebay buying this and that for it!

If anyone has 3 trims for it I'd be interested - I've already bought the one Roverman posted up (thanks for that).
Theres a new one on there aswell but thats does seems pricey, when you fit the 4, make sure they are secure as they have a tendencey to ping off as the holes open out a bit around the bolts and allow them to move.

Tim.

also heres a pdf of the brochure for your car :D

http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/Files/Brochure1987.pdf
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Have already replied to your thread on Autoshite, but welcome here too!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hello Rob and welcome - it looks as though you got a good one there to go with your... Montego! No-one else seems to have picked that up so I'll show some interest and request some info and maybe pics of said Montego. I just read on Wikipedia that it was Britains most scrapped vehicle in 2006 so yours obviously escaped the crusher! I really can't believe there are Montego enthusiasts apart from perhaps the MG varient but I'm ready to be educated! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
robt
Confirmed BX'er

Post by robt »

Hi Todd, thanks for the welcome. On the topic of Montegos there aren’t many left at all now, which considering how much they like to rust is no surprise really! I bought mine last year as a stop-gap and I’ll be keeping it as it’s such a nice car to drive, comfortable and quick as it has the same 2 litre EFi engine as the MG variants. Believe it or not there’s also a loyal band of enthusiast followers in the Maestro and Montego Owners club, of which I’m a member. They are worthy cars despite being much maligned. The colour of mine isn’t everyones cup of tea but it has grown on me:

I like cars with angular lines that are also a bit of a rarity, so this and the BX complement eachother well :)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Love that! is it a GS?, looks like my mate Tom's metro is parked next to it in that picture?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

robt wrote:there’s also a loyal band of enthusiast followers in the Maestro and Montego Owners club, of which I’m a member.
Do you know Dan Pyke? (Possibly as E_T_V). He teases me on my liking the BX about as much as him liking Maestros :lol: Although personally they don't do anything for me, I'm interested in just about any car from my youth. That looks an amazingly rust free example from the picture, do you have any more photos?
Oh, and a belated welcome! :oops:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I had a strange fondness for its predecessor the allegro.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
robt
Confirmed BX'er

Post by robt »

Roverman wrote:Love that! is it a GS?, looks like my mate Tom's metro is parked next to it in that picture?
Yes it's a GSi, the Roverised successor to the Vanden Plas. I know Tom too as I'm also in the Metro Owners Club (got an '82 miniMetro). I always say I'd rather not park next to him at shows really as his are so clean they show mine up!

I don't know Dan personally but know of him on the forum, he always has some useful advice whenever I put a post up needing tecchie help.

As to rust free? Mmmm, the Monty is far from than, the photo flatters it somewhat!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

robt wrote: I know Tom too as I'm also in the Metro Owners Club (got an '82 miniMetro). I always say I'd rather not park next to him at shows really as his are so clean they show mine up!
Haha yes if you think im a clean freak, im nothing compared to him!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That Montego looks far from the crusher. Actually quite nice. What colour is that - putty? Glad to hear that the Montego and Maestro owners have teamed up in the same club for mutual support ( there must be few Allegros lurking around there? Or is there a sepatate Allegro club?) :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I had a 1.6 Montego for a day in 1987.

There was a promotion "Montego for a day" at the local dealer.

I parked my Fiesta round the back of the garage and they gave me the keys. I went from Chesham to Birmingham and back with a friend.
IIRC the Monty did an indicated 120 all the way down the M1.

It was comfortable and reasonably quick for a 1.6 litre 8V.

I wanted to borrow an EFI, but they did not have one available.
(I bought a Cavalier SRi instead.)

But they did give me a Montego Filofax which I am still using every day, 24 years later.

The filofax has lasted better than the car would have, I am sure.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I seem to vaguely remember a friend had a 2 litre petrol auto, it might have been the vanden plas version? It had a bodykit & alloy's & was a dark red/aubergine colour?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

You know what would look LOVELY on that!

:wink:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15104
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

My parents had a Maestro 1.3L, which I learnt to drive in, followed by an MG Montego EFi. The Maestro seemed to break whenever I drove it so they never let me near the Montego except as a passenger. It was superbly quick - I believe that on point-to-point tests it was one of the quickest cars available at the time.

Some years later I had a TDI Estate. Lots of space, and the most economic car I've ever owned (60mpg was common and 70mpg possible in the right conditions), but it was absolutely rotten. I decided to scrap it when I descovered the doors would jam if you jacked a wheel up :shock: . It had done over 200k miles mind, and the rear hubs are still doing service on my car transported trailer.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »