Citroen BX diesel automatic.

Anything about BXs
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The dodgy starting is a common problem on BX auto's, our white one does it very often.

Look on the inner wing near the air filter, you'll see a relay bolted there or thereabouts. Replace it or take it apart and clean it with contact cleaner.

I did the white one in the spring and it's been OK for some months but has recently started doing it again. So a replacement is the order of the day.

On the girlfriend front, get a new one, keep the car. :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

We had a problem with the inhibitor switch on the 'box on two of our three automatics. It was an intermittent problem that we had bypassed with an 'emergency' starter button (risky if you aren't in 'P'!).
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Phil wrote:Cheers guys. I will have a search. Is it normal to have a wobbly speedo needle?
The answer to that is a firm yes although you can improve it by a bit of jiggling in the engine bay!

The reason for the wobble is due to the cable being extended to fit our non european compliance to drive on the opposite side of the road :lol:

I have one rarity to the BX fleet in my 19TZS which does not wobble at all but then again it exhibits a more annoying chracteristic of a poorly calibrated speedometer head and lower than actual speed reading. But it dont wobble :lol:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

For the record, my BX refused to start in town an hour ago. I borrowed a hammer from a local garage, gave the starter a wallop and I was away. Phew!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

kiwi wrote:
The answer to that

I have one rarity to the BX fleet in my 19TZS which does not wobble at all but then again it exhibits a more annoying chracteristic of a poorly calibrated speedometer head and lower than actual speed reading. But it dont wobble :lol:
Yes; I've got one of those too.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Defender110 wrote:
kiwi wrote:
The answer to that

Yes; I've got one of those too.
Mine doesn't wobble and it reads spot on across the range when checked against the Sat-Nav. :D

However, it did once throw a wobbly but the application of some 3-in-1 oil to the speedo head and top cable soon had it back to it's stable and accurate self. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Mine doesnt wobble but the rev counter packed in the other day.
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
Phil

Post by Phil »

How tight should the kickdown cable be with the throttle pedal released.
I have searched but nothing conclusive comes up.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You will see a bit of metal crimped on the cable itself, this should sit back against the stock or outer part of the cable.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks. That is on the kickdown cable itself and when the throttle is fully released it sits on the stop, yes?
Am I kidding myself or could this cause it to miss second gear and just rev until I release the throttle? It selects second instantly when I release the throttle. Equally it selects second fine if you don't floor it away in first. But as I said kick down does not get anywhere close to working. I would say there is nearly an inch of slack cable making gear changing a bit odd as it tries to get into a higher gear much more quickly than it should be.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

That is correct.

The cable should be taught at all times, I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow :)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

actually there should be about 1MM to 1.5MM gap between the crimped tab and the stock.
If there's an inch of slack at idle I'm surprised the box doesn't slip like buggery TBH.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Phil

Post by Phil »

Chaps, thanks for your help. I thought it was fixed after adjusting but sadly not. The next thing to do I guess would be a gearbox oil change.
I have just changed jobs and am working shifts so have quite litterally no spare time.
Is anyone interested in purchasing this? I have every confidence it will make a journey and I would do everything in my power to facilitate a purchase.
The V5 is still with DVLA irritatingly as I only had the vehicle the tail end of last week. If anyone has something to swap I am all ears. If you want my number to call me please PM me. It has a long mot and tax.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Forgot to take some pics today, but have you checked the gear oil level?

Whereabouts are you?

Sadly I did have a spare autobox until the great fire. :evil:

Edit, the camera has a flash :)

Phil

Post by Phil »

Hi Ken, I cannot see any leaks but havent checked the level yet. I will do so tomorrow.
I am in Wiltshire but will do whatever I can to negotiate a sale.
Genuinely interested in a Honda in exchange cash either way.
I have precious spare time now due to my new job and cannot and don't want to rely on it for work as they have a very serious view on lateness as they are a big manufacturer and the job is stressful enough being new.
My cable after adjustment looks the same as yours. Thanks.